Need a little advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
A family friend that had a hog butchered dropped of a bunch of meat and I just realized that either by accident or design, the bacon that he sent is already sliced but hasn’t been cured. I’m wondering if curing in pops brine would be an option now, or if we’re just sol. Thoughts?

I don't see why it would not work...it just seems an awful lot of handling of all those slices.
I’ve got thoughts on that, I’m thinking maybe tying it up with butchers twine while still frozen real good and trying to keep it in more of a slab shape. May not work but I can tell you, uncured bacon is an abomination!

I’ve got thoughts on that, I’m thinking maybe tying it up with butchers twine while still frozen real good and trying to keep it in more of a slab shape. May not work but I can tell you, uncured bacon is an abomination!

Confusing why somebody would slice up bacon before curing it. Do you suppose the thought was to use it like addition to beans?
My Dad use to put a small chunk of "Sow Belly" (he called it) in a pot of beans. Heavenly! :rolleyes:

When I went shopping for Pork Bellies at Sam's Club, somebody had cut up the Pork Belly into about 1" thick strips. Pretty much ruined it for bacon. Even the Butcher could not understand why somebody did that.
I waited for him to get an order of Pork belly in before buying my raw bacon maken slabs.

I hope you can cure it. How would you smoke it afterwords? PITA! Q mats?

Thats actually a good idea
Uncured belly is not bad...but is no bacon.

Reactions: Smkryng
Confusing why somebody would slice up bacon before curing it. Do you suppose the thought was to use it like addition to beans?
My Dad use to put a small chunk of "Sow Belly" (he called it) in a pot of beans. Heavenly! :rolleyes:

When I went shopping for Pork Bellies at Sam's Club, somebody had cut up the Pork Belly into about 1" thick strips. Pretty much ruined it for bacon. Even the Butcher could not understand why somebody did that.
I waited for him to get an order of Pork belly in before buying my raw bacon maken slabs.

It's more common than you think. Used to buy pigs processed. This one time i told the guy: i don't want bacon (as i was planning to make my own), just uncured belly. Of course i got sliced fresh belly. I used it for cooking like you said.

I can’t imagine the thought process of not curing bacon, kinda the whole point of bacon! This butcher has a checklist that you fill out for what cuts, sausage, ground meat, cured or uncured hams and bacon. I’m thinking the cured box didn’t get checked on the list. I’m hoping I can keep it all trussed with twine through the curing and smoking processes. May not be doable but I can always sacrifice one pack I guess.

Long as it's free, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

Maybe they were more dismayed than you. String bundles sounds like a good thing to try.
And Pop's is basically a sugar cure, so I think I'd go the same direction as you have planned.
What the heck, give it a try. Maybe we can all learn a new trick?:rolleyes:

Long as it's free, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

Maybe they were more dismayed than you. String bundles sounds like a good thing to try.
And Pop's is basically a sugar cure, so I think I'd go the same direction as you have planned.
What the heck, give it a try. Maybe we can all learn a new trick?:rolleyes:
Very true, it was appreciated either way. I’ve just got a lot more uses for cured bacon than I do uncured and seem to have a pretty fair amount of it, way more than I could use up for beans and such. I’ll give it a whirl and let everyone know how it turns out.

My next question I guess is since it’s sliced already should I adjust the cure time? I’m thinking even tied together that the cure is gonna get to the center pretty easily.

My next question I guess is since it’s sliced already should I adjust the cure time? I’m thinking even tied together that the cure is gonna get to the center pretty easily.

Donno the answer. But, my thoughts are is wet brining with a sugar cure, what the heck, give it full time.
If it comes out like candy, cut back the next test batch.
If you use Cure #1 in your brineing, it will be neutralized when cooked anyhow. If you don't use Cure #1, you'll have Old Fashioned Salt&Sugar cured bacon.
(Though I personally lean toward Cure #1. And so far, I'm still alive. Maybe I'm cured and preserved?)

I'd have a ball with a pile of free pork to play with. :)

Reactions: Smkryng
Donno the answer. But, my thoughts are is wet brining with a sugar cure, what the heck, give it full time.
If it comes out like candy, cut back the next test batch.
If you use Cure #1 in your brineing, it will be neutralized when cooked anyhow. If you don't use Cure #1, you'll have Old Fashioned Salt&Sugar cured bacon.

I'd have a ball with a pile of free pork to play with. :)
Thanks. Sounds like solid advice. Definitely gonna have cure #1 in it. If nothing else I’ll definitely entertain myself I guess!

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky