Need a firebox.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
I've got an 80 gallon air-tank to use for my cook chamber. I'm seeing that I need roughly a 30 gallon to use as a fire box. My brother in law believes he has a 30 gallon cast-iron air tank "somewhere". If that falls through, where are some places to find a suitable tank that size? I assume it should be fairly heavy. I do have some 55 gallon drums around, but assume they'd be too thin, also way wider than my cook chamber. Any ideas? I'm getting antsy to try it, but I better build it first!:)

Recycling centers, Propane service centers, landfills, RV service centers.
Propane tanks have an inspection and re-certification date stamped or s sticker near the handle that can only be filled within the date range. They are typically exchanged at places like AmeriGas.com. Many of them cannot be re-certified and are re-cycled.

I've got an 80 gallon air-tank to use for my cook chamber. I'm seeing that I need roughly a 30 gallon to use as a fire box. My brother in law believes he has a 30 gallon cast-iron air tank "somewhere". If that falls through, where are some places to find a suitable tank that size? I assume it should be fairly heavy. I do have some 55 gallon drums around, but assume they'd be too thin, also way wider than my cook chamber. Any ideas? I'm getting antsy to try it, but I better build it first!:)[/QUO
ss
Kinda what I was thinking, but where do you find one?
Most RV dealerships have them kicking around and are glad to get rid of them. But a most RV tanks are 30LBS not gls. Would it be big enough?

30 gallon propane tank sounds weird to me.
I've seen 50 gallon, and 20 gallon, and of course smaller, and of course much bigger.
What about using some largo pipe? Maybe some 22", 24" steel pipe to fabricate your firebox?
Check some scrap yards, or metal recycling places.

Yes. I built my smoker using a 100lbs CC and 30lbs FB works great! In fact just finishing a 10lbs butt as we type.

Thank you for the ideas. I'm kinda hoping to find a tank, but open to others. I like the pipe idea, but not sure on welding ends on with my little welder. The hunt is half the fun!

Is there a calculator for figuring what size your fire box should be? I haven't located one yet so any help would be appreciated. I am building a 275 gal smoker with the firebox on the end, but not quite sure what size it should be.
Thank you

Is there a calculator for figuring what size your fire box should be? I haven't located one yet so any help would be appreciated. I am building a 275 gal smoker with the firebox on the end, but not quite sure what size it should be.
Thank you
Yes, there is. I'm not an expert on linking, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky