NAS Pax River, MD in the house!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chiefusn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
Hey SMF members. My name is Chad and I am currently active duty Navy stationed at NAS Pax River in Southern MD. As my username states, I am a Chief with an avionics and helicopter background.

What brought me here? Well, this past Monday (Presidents Day 2013) I was doing some smoking on my Brinkman ECB and well, it was painful. About every 15 minutes or so I was stoking or adding fuel to maintain temps. In between fighting with it, I was inside researching and came across these wonderful looking things called UDS'. So, for the last week, I have been researching and here I am. I won't go into details here in Roll Call but as soon as I post this, I will be heading over to the UDS Builds section to start my UDS build thread. Thanks for having me and I hope to learn a lot as well as hopefully share some of my knowledge (what little I have) as well.

A little about my cooking experience:

I've been smoking on the ECB for about a year now. I have never had a bad meal off of it. Just tired of fighting with it to maintain temps. When I'm not smoking on it, I am usually grilling on my Char-Broil Tru-InfraRed grill. I love that thing. I will grill or smoke all year long. Outside temps usually don't bother me. Rain is about the only thing that will keep me from cooking outside.

A little about me:

I have served this wonderful country in the USN now for 19 years and I just re-up'd for another 3. More than likely I will retire at that time and hopefully land a good government job doing what I'm doing now just as a civilian. I'm married to a wonderful lady who can make the best darn cupcakes. I'm trying to get her to open a cupcake shop but she doesn't want to right now. I have 2 teenagers, a 15 year old punk as a son and a 12 year old girl who has an attitude that will drive you to drink. Don't get me wrong, I love em to death and will do anything to protect them from harm. They're just teenagers and well, if you have any of your own, you know what I'm talking about.

Hobby's other than cooking:

I am an avid R/C enthusiast and currently pretty active in the R/C helicopter hobby. I am a team pilot for one of the larger online helicopter vendors and love representing them at fun-flys and gatherings. I am also an avid DIYer and if I see something I think I can build or repair, I will. Hence the UDS build. I try and do all my own car repairs as long as I don't void any warranties. I also love aquariums and have a 75g freshwater with a custom 3D background that I built last year. If you're interested in it, I can post a link to the build thread on that. I'm pretty much an all around type of guy.

Well, enough about me. I kind of get carried away but that's the way I am. Thanks for having me and I'll see you on the forums.

Chad

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! You are going to love it here.

I would like to say THANK YOU for your Service!!!!  
usa.gif

Jeff's offers a free 5 day E-course.  You will learn a bunch from that.  If you haven't signed up for it yet...here is a link to get you started.  [color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse[/color]

If you need any help roaming around the forums...just holler.  Will be glad to help out!

Kat

Hello Chad,

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Welcome Chief! I used to sail in and out of Solomon's all the time and always got a kick out of watching the skies over PAX river air station. I don't know if they were stationed there. but there were always warthogs (A10's?) flying around doing maneuvers. It was a blast to see. I once watched a helicopter hovering in the same exact spot for over an hour. I was guessing the pilot was being tested or practicing or something. It was pretty fascinating.

Anyway, welcome to SMF and thanks for keeping an eye out for the rest of us. Let us know how the UDS build goes. By the way, if you want something a little smaller and quicker to build, a mini WSM can be done for about $70 and a little over an hour of your time. I went from an ECB to a mini WSM and the difference is night and day. She holds temperature like a champ!

Thanks everyone. I really like that mini WSM. Cool idea. Pax River is the center for testing so the A10's might have been doing that as well as the helicopter hovering. I get to see some pretty neat stuff here. Getting really excited about building my UDS'. Just got to have patience and not rush it. Still acquiring materials so that will be my hold up on the build.

Chad

Welcome Chief! You sound like my kinda guy! I was in the Navy too (I was a first class when I got out in '08: nuke) and settled in the DMV. i was stationed in Norfolk aboard the Enterprise. Did two back to back deployments before my time was up. Best and worst time of my life *lol*. My dad is also retired navy and was a aviation electronics Senior Chief.  Anyways, welcome to the forum! I'm sure I'll see ya around.

Hi Chad! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it! The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky