Mystery Beef Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonathan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Well I have no idea what it's called, but I ended up smoking a pound and a half hunk of meat at the base of some ribs I bought today. I figured in my bumbling novice way 'That should be done in 3 or maybe at most 4 hours.'

And so I set about rubbing this hunk of rib meat with a magic dust derived rub. I then tossed it in at 215 and fed it with the sweet caresses of peach wood, less alder, and less still pecan wood smoke.

And then.... it plateaued.

So I broke out some lovely cyser I brewed up last year from cider from nearby orchard that grows organic asian pears and apples.

And it was still plateaued.

So I drank a bit more and watched a movie.

And this little mystery piece of beef from the base of the ribs was still plateaued.

So I decided, better start spritzing it with apple juice at least to keep it moist. And lo, it was good.

Alas, it was still plateaued.

And so after six hours it broke past the plateau of 156, and headed north to 165, and then I decided such was adequate, so I took it out and foiled it, and contacted my friends who I had missed spending time with due to my stubborn mystery meat and mocked them due to the lovely scents in my kitchen. Lo, and they were bitter as only those who do not smoke can be.

And then, finally after a bit of foiling the meat was freed and sliced and unto me was rendered what was mine, and it was juicy and moist and tender and it was quite fine.

And here for you all are a few pics.

mysterybeef.jpg

mysterybeef_sliced.jpg

Now tipsy and wet fed though I am, I still have the mystery of, what is the section of beef at the base of the ribs called?

Sorry Jonathan,but the colour of the meat after you sliced
it looks more like pork to me.
It would have been nice to see it in the raw stage.
Maybe someone will come along with a better idea.
icon_confused.gif

I know.. it does look like pork (particularly in the pics, the color is a little off in the pics, but not much. Its pretty pale). Definitely beef. I wondered about the color myself though.

Came right off the base of some beef ribs. I was there at the butcher as they were chopped. Also tastes like beef.

And even if I were confused, the butcher happens to be a halal butcher (aka no pork on premises).

Thus my mystery meat continues

Yeah I must say if you just showed me the picture of it I would say it was pork. If you ever figure this one out let us know. Maybe this cow ate alot of pork?

Well you chose the right word for the topic thats for sure. Mystery indeed. Upon first glance I actually thought it looked like chicken, but definitely not beef. As long as it tasted good thats what really counts.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

From your description of the location of this cut of meat, I would say it is part of the flank or plate. Not especially the most tender cut of beef. Usually made into flank steaks, skirt steaks or ground into hamburger. But I think if slow smoked long enough would be very tender and juicy.

Well, it has(had) a bit more color than the pics showed. Just tossed the ribs themselves on. Your idea of it being a younger steer is possible.

Dunno. Tasted good though ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky