Myron Mixon Muffin pan question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevetheteacher

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Pennsauken, NJ
Just was curious...when reading Myron's recipe, he stated that the muffin pan have a whole in the bottom. Why is that? What if there isn't a whole? He also said that a silicon muffin tin could be used. Is that safe in a smoker?

Thanks!

The silicone is definitely safe...  I haven't done the muffin-method, but the hole is to let the rendered fat out, I would imagine. Otherwise, it would be pretty soggy, I would imagine.

It's been awhile since I've read it but doesn't the muffin pan with holes in it sit in another pan with chicken broth in it

The silicone muffin pans are food safe and high heat approved. The holes are about 3/4" in dia. The thigh bone knuckles are cut off each end with kitchen shears. The thighs are placed skin side down into the muffin pans. About 3 pads of butter are placed on the sides of each muffin cup. The muffin pan is then placed in a foil pan and chicken broth is added to the foil pan about 1/2 deep. After about 1.5 hours at 275, the thighs are removed from the pan and replaced back on the smoker to gain color. The holes allow the chicken broth to make the skin bite through. Butter adds moisture. You can drill a 3/4" holes in a regular muffin pan...cheaper, works just as well.  

Last edited:
Reactions: mike5051
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky