My whole house smells like jerky!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, you did it again, Sherry! Now I have to go up in the attic and bring down that dehydrator that I haven't used in years. My tired old teeth don't like regular jerky but I think they could handle this. I miss jerky.....

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
OK, you did it again, Sherry! Now I have to go up in the attic and bring down that dehydrator that I haven't used in years. My tired old teeth don't like regular jerky but I think they could handle this. I miss jerky.....

Oh yeah, considering I've been the recipient of VAST amounts of enabling here, it's payback time! :emoji_sunglasses:

Decided to try ground beef jerky again...used the recipe for "Midwest Ground Beef Jerky" at jerkaholic's site.

If it tastes half as good as it smells, I'm gonna be a happy camper! I'm 2 hours in, so I'll let you know later! :emoji_wink:
My kinda woman! :emoji_thumbsup:

• Haha
OK, how do I find this site? Google is running me in circles....
I found this. Looks to be the same that Sherry used.

Reactions: SherryT and tallbm
I found this. Looks to be the same that Sherry used.
Thanks, Steve! Got it printed.
Dan

Time for pics...

View attachment 651503

View attachment 651504

View attachment 651505

The chew is a bit rubbery, but I think I left it in the dehydrator too long. I started checking hourly it at 3 hours (it was around 135 - 140). At 4 hours it was 150, and at 5 hours, it hadn't changed, so I let it go another 30 mins and pulled it.
Next batch I'll pull a piece at 150, let it cool and test the chew.

A question...does it HAVE to "crack"? I used cure#1 per the recipe, so would I be OK at pulling it at that temp? I won't be making big batches...a pound at the time is fine for me, so long-term storage isn't an issue.
I don't like the crack. I prefer a bit chewy or softer bite.
Need to try a few variations and settle for what YOU want in the final product.

I don't like the crack. I prefer a bit chewy or softer bite.
Need to try a few variations and settle for what YOU want in the final product.

Back in the day (read as "before my teeth began their gradual decline"), I loved chewy, crackly, crunchy stuff...not so much anymore!

Thanks!

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky