My UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jhtitan

Original poster
May 19, 2015
Hello everyone, I recently decided I wanted to try my hand at smoking meat I love grilling and used to have a large smoker style grill. It had a pan to hold wet wood chips and added a nice flavor to my grilling. Sadly it was done for and my new grill just doesn't compare.

Anyway. I didn't get a lot of build progression pics as I am really bad at remembering to take pics.

So here is a before and after pic as well as the results of my first smoke.

I drilled my holes for 3/4" pipe nipples, rack support bolts and temp probe.

I burned out the drum to remove the oil residue and paint. I had a pallet and a bunch of scrap wood laying around that needed somewhere to go. Feeding the burnout fires was a good use for it all.

My charcoal basket I used a mini Weber grill grate and some expanded metal. It holds a 15lb bag perfectly.

My first burn to season the barrel and bake on the engine paint I used I let it go for about 3 hours at 250°F for a few hours, then opened it up to 350°F for about 3 hours then dropped it back down to 250°F to cook the chops. I left the chops on for 2 hours but probably could have pulled them off about 30 mins sooner as my internal temp was about 180°F

All in all I am very happy with the results, I have a pork butt thawing for this weekend as well as a whole chicken. We will see how well I do on a long smoke.

Here is the before:

and after:

and here are my chops. I left them on a bit longer than needed but man they were awesome!

After her first bite my wife stopped complaining about my build and asked what we were smoking next. I love to see her and my kids faces light up when I cook something good. The only complaint was my rub ended up a tad spicy, I thought it was perfect myself.

Anyway, The build is not completely finished. I am in process of forging handles for the lid and the drum as well as a rack to hag utensils from and a wood cutting board style shelf or 2 with forged brackets. I am also planning to forge most of my utensils.

Looks good. If you are anything like me you will never be done building it. Every time I use mine I think of something else to add or change. But that is the beauty of a UDS, you can do whatever you want.

You are correct, I will probably be adding or changing things for as long as I have it. I am still looking for a Weber lid to top it off, I may have one coming tho. We will see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky