My Try With Bacon ( Pops Recipe)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
This is my first time making bacon. I bought three bellies at Sam’s Club a few weeks back and decided to use Pops recipe. The slab was cured in a Briner Jr and I had to make a 2 gallon batch to cover the slab.
I let it cure for 11 days and did a taste test last night and it was way to salty. I used one cup kosher salt per gallon. So I let it soak in water over night and did another test this morning and it was much better. On the flip side the long soak took probably to much salt out but the test piece was very good.
Now it’s drying in the fridge. The cook will be Saturday morning. I’m thinking I’ll smoke it to 145 IT. It will be smoked on my pellet grill that will only bottom out at 180 degrees. Next time I’ll try 1/2 cup salt and see how that turns out.
I’ll update as the process progresses and I’m very excited on making bacon for the first time.

E3A8F3F0-CAF4-4047-A186-FD4DB1BCB04F.jpeg
4380CC3D-0CCF-4FFA-BED5-A5924EE8A9A3.jpeg

The smoke is completed now it’s wrapped and in the fridge for a few days.
7405309F-DEA2-490E-B483-341EA574ED3B.jpeg
E65D62D5-DB38-4A16-AED5-0DB5E9A38600.jpeg
5A028208-8491-409A-8F96-E99D5122641E.jpeg

Reactions: gmc2003
Hmmmm, Looks Good, but Kinda Small !!
Better get another hunk started!!

Bear
I bought three slabs at Sam’s Club and each on is about 5 lbs. I have your BBB recipe brewing right now. That will be ready to smoke next weekend.
The next bacon cook will be also be your recipe. It will be fun to try them all:)

Nice job on that bacon - looks really good.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: Ishi
Looks good so far, I have tried both recipe's recently and they have been a hit so far. Way to go.

Reactions: Ishi
I sliced the bacon last night but didn’t take any pictures. With that said the first four slices I made very thick for tonight’s meal and the rest was frozen to enjoy later.
Bacon with a burger:D
I grilled the bacon and burgers on my pellet grill, toasted the buns on the Grillgrates. This bacon is wonderful and I’m in the process of making more. I want to thank all the great members on here that are willing to help people out.
D95BE9B9-0ED0-474C-A57A-E50676B9D622.jpeg

Two bacon burgers with cold Van Camps Beans.

A2FB2281-0589-465A-898D-86C793D0D337.jpeg

36219049-A902-4395-97A5-2B9C1F5B4855.jpeg

I sliced the bacon last night but didn’t take any pictures. With that said the first four slices I made very thick for tonight’s meal and the rest was frozen to enjoy later.
Bacon with a burger:D
I grilled the bacon and burgers on my pellet grill, toasted the buns on the Grillgrates. This bacon is wonderful and I’m in the process of making more. I want to thank all the great members on here that are willing to help people out.
View attachment 368685

Two bacon burgers with cold Van Camps Beans.

Looks Great!!
That's the kind of Sammy I like to run over with my truck a couple times, so I can get my mouth around it!!

Bear

Those look great , but I love cold beans right out of the can . The homemade bacon is an addiction in itself .

Those look great , but I love cold beans right out of the can . The homemade bacon is an addiction in itself .
My bad I should have said cold beans. Yes I’ve been eating them straight out of the can for 50 plus years. As a kid we went on thousands of picnics and cold beans were a must.
Great thing about cold beans I have them all to myself as they about make the Mrs sick:cool:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky