My Try at Dudestrami, with Sandwich Qveiw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Way to go, looks good! I just picked up a corned beef to make some pastrami as well.

It came out very good great color, great taste, but not as moist as I would of like.

e5db7869_2011-12-0400.57.00.jpg

19898f8b_2011-12-0408.51.26.jpg

4be11a90_2011-12-0408.49.44.jpg

Last edited:
The next one will be even better 
icon14.gif
I went to WalMart this morning and found myself check out the Corned Beef, just looking at each one so the next time I will know what I am looking for instead of just checking the weight and price. Out of the six they had I would have only bought one of them.

I went to WalMart this morning and found myself check out the Corned Beef, just looking at each one so the next time I will know what I am looking for instead of just checking the weight and price. Out of the six they had I would have only bought one of them.

Another good thing to look for is how flexible they are. If you can bend it easily it will come out more tender.

If you chill your pastrami and then steam it for 1 - 1.5 hrs . you will be amazed at the tenderness and amount of moisture you have.

If you chill your pastrami and then steam it for 1 - 1.5 hrs . you will be amazed at the tenderness and amount of moisture you have.
I wouldn't want it any more tender, if it was it would fall apart.

Nice round of 'strami, Tom! The second pic looks pretty juicy from where I'm sitting...YUM!

I usually end up slicing some up straight out of the foil or tented pan after it rests a bit for dinner (or a late night snack...ha-ha!!!)...never had 'em dry out, but then it seems I run lower finish temps (about 180*) and then just hold it for a couple hours @ 180-190* chamber (or oven) temp before resting.

Yeah, man, Walmart was never my first choice for any meats, but sometimes you gotta  do what you gotta do. Briskets at walmart and sam's don't even compare...wife has picked me up a couple in the past few years at wally world, and the butchering was pretty sad...deep cuts into the side/edge of the flat or point that I'd have to deal with every time. Sam's has been pretty decent over the years, with just one or two packers from a few case purchases that I wasn't too impressed with (still were better than any from wally-world), but for the price, I couldn't complain.

Anyway, if you get tired of searching for a good corned beef, you may want to cure your own...just need a little fridge space for 10 days or so. I'm just the opposite of quite a few guys here, where they buy it cured, I've always cured my own from scratch, and I always have a packer to trim and separate for curing...nothing quite like curing your own brisket for pastrami. If you're interested corning your own, click on my sig line "latest pastrami"...that's my last documented 'strami run. There are a ton of others in the beef forum as well.

Keep on smokin', brother!!!

Eric

EDIT: you posted your teaser sandwich while I was typing............NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The corned beef I picked up is the point & flat, ya'll suggest splitting them or cooking them whole for my strami?

The corned beef I picked up is the point & flat, ya'll suggest splitting them or cooking them whole for my strami?

Your going to have to separate them when you slice them up because the grains will run in different directions. I would separate them before you smoke them. This way they will get done quicker & you will have more surface area exposed to the smoke.

This one was the same as yours, If I did it again I would have split it in two.Ten hours smoking was way to long for 4 pounds of meat. 

Sounds good thanks, I just picked up a 7 lb brisket flat from costo to smoke when I cook up the corned beef. I need the brisket for some beans I intend to make, calls for some brisket trimmings. I think I'll throw in some ABT's as well if I have all the fixings. Planning on smoking this stuff Wed. or Thurs. this week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky