My trip to Germany

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richard cameron

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Sacramento California
I am leaving on a 15 day trip to Germany next week. I will be traveling down the west side of Germany from Cologne down to Fussen, traveling east over to Salzburg, north through Munich, up to Leipzig before returning home.

I want to find out for myself what German BBQ is like. I will take as many pictures as possible of German BBQ eateries as I can.

If any SMF members have any suggestions, please let me know. I leave on May 20th.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Reactions: 73saint
Richard, I lived in Bavaria for 10 years (just left in August 2015) and unfortunately you’ll be hard pressed to find anything I think we would call bbq. You will see rippchen which are normally spare ribs cooked fairly fast on direct heat grill.
Now pork cooked in a variety of ways (that’s amazing) and beer on the other hand is a different story. If you’re interested in that at all, let me know and I can share some places that you won’t want to miss. May in Germany is a great time of year.

Granted my travels are not long while there and I rarely venture far from the the major cities but with 12+ years of hitting many major cities all across Europe I have seen 1 restaurant with BBQ in its name. This was North of Amsterdam last week. I was too chicken to experiment this particular trip.

I had to post because I am curious for your discoveries and any of our Europe meme era that may post up recommendations.

My recommendation is ‘Jaeger Schnitzel’. One of Germany’s very best dishes.

Pat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky