My Take On Eggplant Napoleon (W Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
One day last week I decided it was time to do something Italian themed. Just wasn't sure which direction to go though. Out of the blue our good friend Cliff ( clifish clifish ) posted his Eggplant Napoleon and I knew immediately that I was gonna make it, which I did that day. Being that I didn't want to hijack his thread I held off posting it for a couple days then got super busy and just have not had time. Well, the time has come. I'm just gonna hit on the highlights of mine since I pretty much followed his to a T.

The sauce. Used San Marzano tomatoes, fresh garlic, oregano, basil, black pepper, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, and a pinch of coffee. Hit the tomatoes lightly with the immersion blender to break them up a bit
20220330_153014_Fotogenic.jpg

Browned a package of my spicy Italian sausage and did the mix exactly as Cliff did but I didn't measure anything...just tossed it together
20220330_153028_Fotogenic.jpg

Eggplant dipped and fried in my homemade garlic and herb infused olive oil. Onto a towel to drain.
20220330_153032_Fotogenic.jpg

Cut up the pseudo Caparese salad and made a Balsamic vinegar and oil dressing which we put on the salad when we plated our dinners
20220330_153035_Fotogenic.jpg

We like bread with our Italian meals but did not have time to make any. Found some pre-made artisan Italian bread dough and figured I'd give it a shot. Brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with kosher salt
20220330_163306_Fotogenic.jpg

Into a 400 degree over for 12 minutes and VOILA!! This stuff is actually very good
20220330_174808_Fotogenic.jpg

Built the eggplant towers exactly as Cliff did: sauce in the pan, eggplant, sausage and cheese mix, more sauce, repeat till you run out of eggplant then top with fresh grated mozz and more sauce.
20220330_174820_Fotogenic.jpg

Olive oil and herb dipping sauce for the bread
20220330_175650_Fotogenic.jpg

The bread sliced beautifully. We will gently reheat it just before serving.
20220330_175838_Fotogenic.jpg

Eggplant onto the top rack of the grill. This is about 15 minutes in and cheese is starting to melt nicely
20220330_180430_Fotogenic.jpg

About 30 minutes, it's hot all the way through, and I'm calling it done. Into the house
20220330_181505_Fotogenic.jpg

Plated and out to the patio to enjoy dinner
20220330_181813_Fotogenic.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, Cliff posted an out-of-the-park grand slam home run with this meal. It is 100% authentic Italian and the flavor combination is off the charts amazing. We were pretty much fighting over the last one of these. I wanted to eat it and Tracy wanted it for her lunch the next day. Guess who won. I'll give you a hint: it wan't me :emoji_laughing: There just isn't enough good I can say about this. I've done eggplant parm before and it was OK but certainly not noteworthy. This was!! It will get done again. Matter of fact, Tracy is already asking me to make it real soon. Thanks so much for posting this Cliff. It's taken a basic traditional Italian meal to a whole new level. Oh...I cooked the eggplant in a big electric skillet with the olive oil. It cooked great, browned nicely, and I didn't set off a single smoke detector :emoji_astonished:

Well folks, calling this one done. Need to get my reports written and sent into the office. Got another meal from Saturday that I really want to get posted later if time permits.

Robert

Robert, this looks amazing! The salad is nice and very colorful. That bread although premade dough, looks very crispy, exactly the way I like it. Excellent write up and great job, my mouth is watering. We make an excellent EP Parm, but might give this method a try as I mentioned to Cliff earlier, on our next "Cheat" day lol.

Looks and sounds delicious Robert, I'd be all over that dish! Heading out to market shortly, may have to get the goods! RAY

You took it to another level Robert! I am humbled you made one of my meals, usually it is the other way around. Don't get me wrong, that bread would have been great with the meal but the damn diabetes gets in the way. Big Like
-Cliff

Wow! Big like! Beautiful work and amazing dish! I can’t wait for this clean eating to be over so I can try this out! You and Cliff took this up several levels!

That looks pretty awesome! I have never done much with eggplant…maybe its time to try?

I'm a big fan of eggplant Robert and that cook does it justice. Muy bueno my friend

Point for sure
Chris

Everything about this looks incredible. If no one were looking I would have no problem putting that sauce in a cup and drinking it with a hunk of bread. That eggplant looks perfect.

Both you and Cliff hit it out of the park with this eggplant recipe. We love eggplant parm around here, so I know this amazing use of eggplant will find it's way onto our table.

Robert, this looks amazing!

Thanks so much my friend. I truly appreciate it. The thanks all need to go to Cliff though as it's his masterpiece.

Looks and sounds delicious Robert, I'd be all over that dish! Heading out to market shortly, may have to get the goods!

Very much appreciate it Ray. Did you get a chance to make it? Honestly buddy, this would be right up your alley.

You took it to another level Robert! I am humbled you made one of my meals, usually it is the other way around. Don't get me wrong, that bread would have been great with the meal but the damn diabetes gets in the way.

Well Cliff, all I did was replicate what you did. Really nothing different except that I had a model to follow and you didn't. That gave me a slight advantage. A great meal though buddy and one you should be proud of.

Robert

Wow! Big like! Beautiful work and amazing dish! I can’t wait for this clean eating to be over so I can try this out! You and Cliff took this up several levels!
Thank you very much Jed. It was a great meal buddy but what's the point in waiting? Heck, being born is the first step to checking out so may as well enjoy yourself while you're here :emoji_wink:
That looks awesome! I'm not a big egg plant fan. But I'd try that.
Thanks Steve. I'm not a big fan of the texture of eggplant but I found that slicing it thin and getting it really crispy makes all the difference in the world.
That looks pretty awesome! I have never done much with eggplant…maybe its time to try?
I highly recommend it Dave. Was a truly excellent meal sir.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw and Steve H
I'm a big fan of eggplant Robert and that cook does it justice. Muy bueno my friend
Thanks so much Chris. This was a great way to utilize eggplant and create a fantastic meal.
Everything about this looks incredible. If no one were looking I would have no problem putting that sauce in a cup and drinking it with a hunk of bread. That eggplant looks perfect.
Thank you Sven. I assure you though, there is no shame in having a cup of sauce with a big chunk of bread....no shame at all. Ask me how I know that :emoji_wink:
We love eggplant parm around here, so I know this amazing use of eggplant will find it's way onto our table.
I certainly hope you do find yourself making this. Follow Cliff's lead, with possibly a few adaptations along the way, and you'll have a fantastic meal. I can promise you that.

Robert

Reactions: DougE
Another great meal there Robert. And like Cliff said , you made him proud.
Thanks so much David. It was an honor that he shared the meal with us and I had a great lead following his procedure. Wasn't difficult to hit on all the marks.
Phenomenal, my friend, simply phenomenal...
I very much appreciate the kind words Charles. This was an outstanding meal.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky