My Smokehouse Build Journey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LTalon

Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Hey fellow smokers,

First post here. I was actually inspired by a build posted on here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cedar-smokehouse-construction.130460/

So, big shoutout to @ atcnick atcnick for really showing step-by-step his build. Thought, I'd do the same.

I decided to take on a similar smoker build, and also build out of cedar wood. But to be honest, I've never smoked food before. I cook over open flames, and really decided to take on this project for the love of working with wood.

I'm excited to improve not only my woodworking, but also cooking skills - I'm a HUGE fan of pork shoulder slow cooked, beef shank, and all the fall of the bone type meats, who isn't?!

I'll try to keep this updated and answer any questions/share product information if anyone else is interested in building it.

Here are some photos of where I'm currently at (I'm new to woodworking - let me know any tips or advice - I'm just going off instinct)

beginner-diy-smoker-pic1.jpg
beginner-diy-smoker-pic2.jpg

beginner-diy-smoker-pic3.JPG
beginner-diy-smoker-pic4.jpg

beginner-diy-smoker-pic5.jpg

Ideally I'm going to fill the base with concrete and I still need to add the vent into the wood stove that will be on the right side of the smoker chamber.

All the wood is untreated, cedarwood, and the frame are just standard untreated 2x4 that I had laying around - kind of building on a budget.

Still have a long way to go (like the roof needs to be done, door, stove), but happy to see it coming along - and wanted to share the progress!

looks like a fun project...be watching to see how it comes along!

Ryan

Looks good so far. Don't take to long winters coming up quick like.

Chris

Looking good so far. I've been thinking when I get my "forever" home I want to build a smoke house for my propane vault cooker and convert it to a wood burner. I'm thinking of a design much like what you have going on. I'll be watching with interest.
Jim

Looks good so far. Don't take to long winters coming up quick like.

Chris

Good call, been working more on it and making progress, hope to have it done mid October.

Great Start, Talon!!
Be checking in now & then.

Bear

Thanks!
Looking good so far. I've been thinking when I get my "forever" home I want to build a smoke house for my propane vault cooker and convert it to a wood burner. I'm thinking of a design much like what you have going on. I'll be watching with interest.
Jim

Here's some more progress, I added some concrete at the bottom, and started digging the flume and setting the base of the oven.

diy-smoker-build-pic7.jpeg
diy-smoker-build-pic6.jpeg

Need to get 6 more cedar wood 1 x 6 x10 boards to finish the side and front door.

Also not sure if the flume is okay exposed like that and to just rest on the grass or if it needs bricks around it.

Reactions: JLeonard
I would think you would want to enclose it, won't rust through quite as soon.

Ryan

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Not negative, but a design consideration. I have one suggestion for people building wood sided structures. If you look at traditional wood siding. Horizontal siding over laps to help with run off. Stacked boards let water get between them. Cedar will hold up better. Barns are built with vertical run siding boards as it runs the rain off better. Lapped siding is tongue and groved to have the bottom board slide into the upper board to encourage run off. I thought I saw a gap in some of your boards indicating to me they are not lapped. Again, ceder will fair better, but vertical wood is better than horizontal wood, exposed.

Finally an update -

So I ended up spending a majority of the past weekend on the smoker and had my first batch. I smoked pork shoulder. It has made me aware of the places I need sealing, as well as some major concerns with the oven area.

Here are some updated photos:
A8053CE6-08BD-44C5-A8A5-0B06723C4E8D.jpeg

BAFBA6E0-1EAA-4AE7-8E94-9E59998BEF70.jpeg

0AAF1CEE-F992-4BE3-B3C6-28804176FE9E.jpeg

Will provide updates to the oven in another post. What basically happened is stone plates wouldn’t take the heat, needed bigger stones which I’m now using.

Also, the roof isn’t 100% finished yet, but the smoke box itself is enclosed and I couldn’t wait to take it for a spin!

I would think you would want to enclose it, won't rust through quite as soon.

Ryan
You’re 100% right - I ended up enclosing most of it, but the front oven area before the vent needs some fixes.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Not negative, but a design consideration. I have one suggestion for people building wood sided structures. If you look at traditional wood siding. Horizontal siding over laps to help with run off. Stacked boards let water get between them. Cedar will hold up better. Barns are built with vertical run siding boards as it runs the rain off better. Lapped siding is tongue and groved to have the bottom board slide into the upper board to encourage run off. I thought I saw a gap in some of your boards indicating to me they are not lapped. Again, ceder will fair better, but vertical wood is better than horizontal wood, exposed.
So I think you’re saying I should’ve put the siding as verticale and not horizontal because it helps let water run down.
Wish I knew this before haha, hopefully the smoke/heat, and a bit of rain will cause it to swell to a point where it’s all sealed.
That is some pretty wood.
It is my favorite wood.

So I think you’re saying I should’ve put the siding as verticale and not horizontal because it helps let water run down.
Wish I knew this before haha, hopefully the smoke/heat, and a bit of rain will cause it to swell to a point where it’s all sealed.

Yes, if you boards are squared on the sides. No if they are lapped. Lapped boards encourage run off also. Traditional siding used tongue and groove type slots. The groove on the bottom and tongue on the top. Or top board over lapping the bottom board. Cedar will naturally help with rot problems though.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Is your fire box a pit? It is hard to see how it works.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky