My smoked salmon q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, those look good. I can't wait for spring to get here and get to some carp fishing! Hey don't wringle your nose up, a well prepared carp tastes as good if not better than salmon in my book! Just use a nice 3 pounder as the bigger ones get a bit mushy.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Pitrow....that sure is some good looking salmon. I'm hoping to catch some this coming June and try it. I have done Lake Trout before on a ECB and it turned out pretty good. I'm anxious to try some salmon because they have less oil than the Lakers.

Nice Job

Steve

no offense, sorry if you take it that way...........but......

that long of a brine is overkill on salmon, alot of people try to over salt / over brine a thin little piece of fish.

Just from your photos, looks like the outside of the fish is a bit dried out, once again no offense.

All depends on your final product, some salmon jerky is great, squaw candy is what it's called. I brine my smoked salmon 15 minutes to 30 minutes, an hour max, if you do it over night and with tons of onion/garlic/pepper in the brine is just overkill that "IMHO" ruins the fish. Been there over done that.......tread light, don't get an overly heavy hand on the brine or seasoning.

I'll post some photos soon to show you what I mean, and what I do.

I'm always open to new ideas, but just IMHO a brine that long will almost pickle and over cure the fish.
mad.gif

Good looking salmon and I am not a fish person.

Good job as long as you like it thats all that matters...

Everyone has their own tastes and likes.......

Kookie

For me it's mostly a look and feel kinda thing. When it looks about done (hard to define, but after so many years doing it I can get pretty close) a poke with a finger on the thickest part will tell if it's done or not. If it's soft and spongy it's not done yet.

Keep in mind, I'm going more for the "salmon jerky" than a cooked salmon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky