My Sicilian

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For what it's worth, I can't get many types of cheese here, so I have had to adapt. Boar's Head mozzarella from Publix works well. I combine it with other brands of sliced provolone because Boar's Head provolone is nasty low-fat stuff. A little added cheddar improves the flavor.

Saporito has to be diluted more than 1:1. If it's not pretty runny, it's overpowering.
Cans are expensive, but you can divide a can into several bags and freeze it. Even if you only get 10 pies out of a can, it works out to be very cheap.

Of course you will probably want to add other things to the sauce.

Slopped out another one today.

This one was made with Bridgford thick pepperoni. High end pepperoni is not available around here, so I am trying what I can find.

I stuck cheese on the rim of one side of the pie so it would burn. Really nice.

I forgot to parbake it, but I think it's actually better this way. I pulled it out of the pan and gave it 90 seconds on the hot steel to fry the crust more.

It was hard to handle, so it got a little beaten up. Didn't hurt the taste, though!

04 15 22 Sicilian three quarter height Bridgford thick pepperoni whole small.jpg

04 15 22 Sicilian three quarter height Bridgford thick pepperoni bottom small.jpg

Reactions: OldSmoke
Bridgford is ok if you doctor it up. Along with other brands. Buy it. And if it is not vacuumed sealed. Then do that in a good quality bag. And I put it in my veggie drawer in the fridge for a few months. Small diameter pepperoni. Sliced at about 1/8" after aging gives a beautiful cup pepperoni with the heart attack juice in the cup. You want the pepperoni to age until you get a nice coating of the white mold.

Reactions: Count Porcula
Thanks for the recipe. Have you ever tried to stretch it out to make thinner? I’m thinking about giving it a shot in my kettle but I think I’d have to make it thinner to cook right on the grill

Thanks for the recipe. Have you ever tried to stretch it out to make thinner? I’m thinking about giving it a shot in my kettle but I think I’d have to make it thinner to cook right on the grill
The way to make it thinner is to use less dough. You can do whatever you want with it. It will stretch as much as you want if you give it time to relax.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky