My Prime Rib w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Last week, I was lucky enough to come across a 3 bone rib roast in my price range.  I snapped it up and decided to try this prime rib that so many of you have been raving about.

I marinated it overnight with olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder and cracked black pepper.

Brought the smoker up to 275 degrees, give or take a few.

Threw the roast on the smoker (along with some other goodies that I'll post another day) and let it go with lump charcoal and hickory wood for about 5 hours until I hit 130 degrees internal (we like ours closer to medium-well)

It was super tender, super juicy and INCREDIBLY tasty.

Hope you enjoy the pics:

0f6dbbf0_marinated.jpg

ff7e030c_onthesmoker1.jpg

a209de73_finished.jpg

47a3fb95_sliced.jpg

No there wasn't any left, but the dogs did help with the bones.  In fact, they were occupied for about 4 hours after we handed them over.  

In all, I'd do this every week if I could afford to.  It was EXCELLENT!!!!!

That looks so good, I want one this weekend but I think I have to attend family x mas instead.

Glad to hear you enjoyed.

BTW awesome job.

Thanks!  If I could find the rib roast at a good price more often, I'd definitely do these all the time.  Trying to live on one income with 4 boys, you have to be a saavy shopper.  We're managing alright, but every now and then I wish we had more coming in.  LOL

Anyhow, it was well worth splurging on.

I found some today for 6.18lb think that I will get 5 ribs tomorrow. I have never smoked one. Butcher said he only orders them at Christmas time. Its the only butcher shop within 40 miles. Looks like you did it up right...

Last edited:
It looks great I'm planning on doing one for Christmas. I think Winn Dixie has them on sale for 5.99 a lb now through Christmas

I think mine was 4lbs, and I paid around $23 for it, so the pricing sounds right at $6/lb, give or take.   I'd love nothing more than to get a 5 or 7 bone rib roast and do it up on the smoker.  I may have to purchase a 1/4 cow and ask for that specifically, along with loin, steaks, etc.   You get a better deal that way, but you put more out of pocket up front.

Honestly, if money wasn't an issue, I'd do this at least twice a month.  It was that good.  I credit Bearcarver for the idea, to be honest.  His post on prime rib inspired me to take the plunge.

That is a great looking smoked rib Bill.  They are on sale here big time this week and I need to get out and buy some for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky