MY PICKLED EGGS ALA 'BIG GUY'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Pickled eggs was on the list of things to do so was looking around for ideas and ran across old Big Guys recipe thread from a few years ago. Seemed like a good jump off point. I bumped all the spices up and added some dried Chili Arbols to the brine for some added kick. I used the brine filled zip-lock baggie trick to keep all the eggs submerged and managed to wait the full two weeks recommended before consuming any. Very delicious recipe although not as spicy as I was looking for. I'm thinking next time I'll add a bottle of Asian Chili Garlic Sauce or some Siracha to the brine to jazz it up even more. Thanks for looking & thanks Big Guy, where ever you may be.....

2 cups vinegar
2 cups water
2 Tbs. salt
3 Tbs. sugar
3 Tbs. crushed red chili peppers
1 Tbl. pickling spice
1 jar pickled Pepperoncini peppers and liquid
1 large onion coarse chopped
3 cloves garlic peeled
2 ½ doz. hard boiled eggs
Pack in layers in a big jar top up with liquid, let rest 1-2 weeks if you can.

Chili arbol floating by

lots of goodies on the bottom

developed a really nice brine ring

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Wow, that's a nice looking jar of pickled eggs!  I'm intrigued.  I've never made pickled eggs....how to you use/eat them?  Pickled egg salad sandwich??

Great detailed post and beautiful pictures!  Thanks for posting!

Clarissa

Willie, evening.... Great looking eggs.... looks like you have the "cooking" part down perfect...    I'd eat 'em....  Dave

Wow, that's a nice looking jar of pickled eggs!  I'm intrigued.  I've never made pickled eggs....how to you use/eat them?  Pickled egg salad sandwich??

Clarissa
With an ice cold beer and Hot Mama's pickled sausages! Would make good sandwiches too!

Clarissa
Hey Clarissa....DS is correct....cold beer and slice them length wise so you're not totally ghetto <grin>. I've read where some will make deviled eggs outta them which I have yet to do...hear they are awesome that way as well. Cut the recipe down....make a quart jar as a test run
Willie, evening.... Great looking eggs.... looks like you have the "cooking" part down perfect...    I'd eat 'em....  Dave
Thanks Dave...somewhat inspired by yours...maybe next time I'll include some sausage
Looks really good Willie. Make up a batch of my Acid rain, that'll heat em up really nicely!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133831/experimental-fire-water-aka-acid-rain
Thanks....Mr.T also uses some Ghost Pepper juice in his version. I'm thinking of having some true Hawaiian pepper seeds sent over...probably to late for this year.

Hey Clarissa....DS is correct....cold beer and slice them length wise so you're not totally ghetto <grin>. I've read where some will make deviled eggs outta them which I have yet to do...hear they are awesome that way as well. Cut the recipe down....make a quart jar as a test run

Thanks Dave...somewhat inspired by yours...maybe next time I'll include some sausage

Thanks....Mr.T also uses some Ghost Pepper juice in his version. I'm thinking of having some true Hawaiian pepper seeds sent over...probably to late for this year.
If you have a green house I would go for it. I love those Hawaiian peppers. If you saw my pepper starts you'd die from laughter. I'll be lucky if we get any peppers by Christmas. Assuming I can keep them alive that long.

WIllie, these look great so you don't have to boil brine or anything just cook eggs,,,,,, and pour everything on top??

Nice Job Willie!

That recipe looks easy enough for a Bear to use!!!

I've always been cheating------When the pickled red beets are all gone, the eggs take their place in the jar.
icon_redface.gif

Bear

Does anybody brine and then smoke? I'm told a friend of a friend does it & they're really good. I just smoked them for 2 hrs with my new AMNPS & got hahardly any smoke flavor. The new toy worked well though. Maybe oak just doesn't give a strong flavor. Never used oak either. Maybe my buddy misunderstood and they are pickled after smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky