My Pellet smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First time doing snack stick at double length (17") and put 50 lbs into the smoker. I usually do 25 lb batches. Temps were OK but I noticed I did not get the smoke penetration and dehydration I usually get after 6 hours. They cooked to the usual 160 internal, checked both in the middle sticks and perimeter sticks. The sticks seem a bit soft. I think the extra meat created more moisture in the smoker. I followed up by doing 25 lb batches and they were much drier and stiffer like I am used to.

Last edited:
Love the build I was just given a commercial grade refrigerator looking to make it a pellet smoker any tips

Thats what’s I’m building. Was curious how good those smoke daddy hopper assemblies work and if you guys think I need two for this thing?
737C71FB-CB1A-444F-939B-C34265F53DA0.jpeg

That’s an impressive build! Thanks for going into such detail with what you used and taking so many pics. How do you like that smoke daddy assembly?

I love my unit from Smokedaddy. Mine is the old style PID. I modded mine for cold smoking. Looking at there site builds you might want to go with two 18" units.

I would also consider using mineral wool insulation in the walls.

Reactions: ELKHNTR
Beautiful work and great design detail. I enjoy building and learning new skills, even at age 76 when should be playing cards. Presently also planning to build a smoker, mostly because my wife doesn't think we need another cooking device. We have a couple Weber grills and I bought an Alto-Shaam warming oven that I use for slow cooking ribs and prime rib. My plan to acquire a pellet smoker is basic....I purchased a wifi controlled pellet burner unit and plan to mount it on the Alto-Shaam oven. Most things needed are within or can be fabricated from stainless. Heat deflector and grease tray/drain seem essential but suggestions from those who have traveled this path will be appreciated.
One issue that I need advice on: Door Gasket As a low temperature oven, the Alto-Shaam has what appears to be a neoprene peripheral door gasket. I suspect that gasket won't endure the far higher temperatures of the smoker conversion. Advice from the experienced on gasket and attachment will be very greatly appreciated.
All this so I can make pastrami from corned beef and maybe a few other food delicacies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky