My pallet smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twolf148

Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Well i found this site looking for plans for smoke houses. After seein many amazing smoke houses i decided to build me one. I found one made from pallet boards and thought i would use pallets we get from work. So after so more searchin i found a lil different style of one and got it in my head what i needed to do. It took me a lil longr than i thought but i perty much got it done minus a few things and some more hanger rods. Ive been smokin it in tje past few nites usin my fire barrel and tonight usin my amazn smoke tube. Im usin a barrel so i can get more heat when needed and hope to use the smoke tubes for just cold smokin. Im in south tx so its not as cold out and may be times i dont need much added heat to smoke so i think the tubes will work best. I must say so far with a small fire in the barrel i raised about 13 degrees inside the first night. I have a wireless redicheck thermometer to keep track of meat temps and inside temps. Well its no work of art but it sure looks like it will do the job and thats all that matters.

Reactions: rabbithutch

Just some more pics. The last one is just the amazn smoke tube goin this evening. I bought the expandable ones and its been going for just about 3 hours now for the smaller one. Might want both goin to produce more smoke but its not to bad for maybe a light smoke flavor. I plan on added one more hanger up top then another row down lower. I also want to put a shelf inside so when hangin jerky i can have it skewered then in my pans and i can set the pans down waist high instead of down low on the floor. Might also tile it with some small tiles my uncle has laying around. I kinda just threw this together and this is what came out;)

Reactions: rabbithutch
Well i did some research and read several articles about using pallets and from all i have read they are either heat treated or have been coated in a chemical. The heat treated ones have the HT on them and can also have the the IPPC logo on them. If they have been chemically treated. They will have MB on them for the chemical bug reppellent that is used. Now those u dont want to use for anything. There are also some that are one time use pallets for domestic use and they dont use chemicals on them from what i have read. Things can spill and be soaked in so u still gotta be selective but i think i picked the better ones to use. I definitely had some thoughts about reading some post about pallets but after reading several of the articles about pallets i decided to use them. Once its smoked in good it should be just fine most likely.

Last edited:
Looks good to me....  should put out some good smoked stuff....  Smoke the heck out of the smokehouse to get those board coated with smoke residue...     Run it hotter than you will when smoking food... maybe 300+ to drive off any volatile matter that may leach from the boards during smoking....  Keep a charged water hose handy in the event of a screw up...  smokehouses love to burn...   for lower air inlet, install a hunk of stovepipe bigger in diameter than the one that allows smoke and heat into the smoker..  leave the air gap around the smoke /heat pipe to keep the floor from getting too hot...  the incoming air will mix very well with the stuff coming from the smoke pipe...   Should give a uniform smoke in the smokehouse...

Thanks, I will try to get it good and warm next time i fire it up. I added more spots to hang rods today and put a small shelf to hold my meat pan since its windy as heck today and just about in the 80's:(  Had to do the research after i read some post and read the DIY SmokeHouse build i found online.

Thanks, I will try to get it good and warm next time i fire it up. I added more spots to hang rods today and put a small shelf to hold my meat pan since its windy as heck today and just about in the 80's:(  Had to do the research after i read some post and read the DIY SmokeHouse build i found online.

Thanks. Well finally some cold weather down here. Its been hot enough for shorts some days so i was just smokin in the smoke house. Got it fairly hot a gew times but now i got a good cold day just a lil windy but i got my deer jerky goin. Its gonna be a long day but it will be worth it[emoji]128521[/emoji][emoji]128521[/emoji][emoji]128518[/emoji][emoji]128518[/emoji]

2thumbs.gif
...... Looking good... I think you will really enjoy that smoker...   It will treat you well....

Thanks. It sure is looking good. Had lots of fun getting it up to temp cause i really didnt want to mix smoke. I am using my smoke tubes inside with pecan pellets and mesquite wood for coals for heat. Bad thing it was in the upper 20's this morning then the wind kicked up and i battled for a while but got it going;) Would have been great to just cold smoke today but i had plans for jerky;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky