My Observations and Words of Wisdom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For smoking with charcoal and wood - I go first by reckoning based on ~25 years of experience, to estimate how much fuel and time I will need for a given amount and type of food, on a given type of cooker. I watch the behavior of the fire. Then I go by the food's appearance backed up by temp measurements. That gets me in the ball park but there can always be surprises.

The main thing I've learned is that no single criterion is enough to assure a good cooking session. Maybe the appearance says Yes but the temp says No, or the other way around. Maybe the promising-looking fuel turns out to be a disappointment, or maybe the supply runs out too soon. Experience helps the ability to observe and adapt and improvise if needed. As an old TV commercial once said, "Sometimes, the stunt fails." And sometimes you simply blunder into a perfect outcome, as seen many times on this board when someone says their first-ever smoke came out perfectly.

What I don't like, and I see little or none of it here, is people putting each other down for anything from technique to equipment, even to what does or does not taste good. The BBQ boards I was on 20 years ago were flame wars with regional, religious, racial and gender hatreds completely ruining the enjoyment of what should be a fun pastime. That's why I left that whole scene for more than a decade.

Here, if you bring some new method or flavor, or even just ask for advice, people are receptive to it. Everyone on this board learns something new. That's what makes it fun to pursue this, because no one in isolation could ever come up with all the ideas we share.

we_all_smoke.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky