My new smoker - Smokin-It

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I needed a better smoker with larger capacity that was NSF approved so I purchased a Smokin-It 3.5D

Looking forward to that bad boy arriving.

I noticed that the flavor wood needs to be a certain size to work properly.

I want to use pellets for smoke as well as solid chunks. How do pellets work in the Smokin-It smokers?

The bad news..... I will now be forced to part with my Master built smoker.

JC :emoji_cat:

Good news is it usually only takes a 2 ounce chunk of wood to season the meat so you don't have to refill anymore and you will use less wood. Enjoy your new toy

Thanks. Hoping it won't take too long for delivery.
I guess a hatchet will be all that is required for larger chunks. :emoji_laughing:

Pellets act a lot like chips in the smokin-it. They burn to fast. I only use chunks unless I'm doing fish. And like poacherjoe said, it doesn't take more than a few ounces of wood.

I use 2 to 6 ounces of chunks - hickory - depending on what I am smoking. No chips or pellets. Smokin-it does sell a chip screen for those who like chips. Enjoy!

Reactions: JC in GB
Does it burn to white ash with 1-6oz of chunk or make a lump of black charcoal?

Some get charcoal, some get ash. I get ash most of the time but once in a while it will be ash with bits of charcoal. I have never ever worried about it. Many people do but I do not. I just let it rip. And take what it give. Food is always smokey and good.

I use a tray I made out of aluminum flashing and no chip screen. Usually get lumps charcoal with minimal ash.

Attachments

• tray-6.jpg
    tray-6.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 7
Wife is upset enough over the new smoker. I had to do damage control by promising to get rid of one of my other smokers. I wasn't getting rid of my Stump's Baby.
While I did not have to do damage control I did need to “de-clutter” the patio some time back. Part of life.

Wife is upset enough over the new smoker. I had to do damage control by promising to get rid of one of my other smokers. I wasn't getting rid of my Stump's Baby.
I am still hiding several toy's in the garage that needs to be "Cleaned "! According to my CEO . But if I do that i'm screwed......lol

I've found in my Smokin' It model 1, that the wood chunk will sometimes start on fire. I've alleviated this by wrapping it in foil, leaving only the top side exposed. Makes for an easy cleanup that way, too.

Woo Hoo a new toy!
I needed a better smoker with larger capacity that was NSF approved so I purchased a Smokin-It 3.5D
NSF? Are you going pro?
Wife is upset enough over the new smoker. I had to do damage control by promising to get rid of one of my other smokers.
Oddly I have to compromise on my purchases, but when she .... It is another story.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky