My "new" grill.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
It's new to me anyway. It's probably 50-60 years old. It was designed by my wife's grandfather after he tried out one of those new fangled Weber kettle grills and didn't like it. Being from Pittsburgh, he took his plans to a forge and had it made. I must say the thing is remarkable. It has a draft system that's like nothing I've ever seen. It develops a hot spot In the very center and gradually cools toward the edge. The center must be up towards 900-1000 degrees as it will sear a steak in seconds. It's all cast iron and will likely outlive me. My mother in law gave it to me this weekend. I guess she was tired of me finding excuses to grill every time we visit :)
I think I'll sand blast it and season the grates and hit the exterior with some high heat paint.

That is soooo cool!  I love cooking with Cast iron things.  Will last for ever if you take care of it!

Kat

If it's cast iron I would get it cleaned up and coat it with flaxseed oil and fire it up. For cast that's gonna be the best coating you can get on it. Do a couple coats and you'll be set for life. It will get a great patina to it. Painting it in my opinion would ruin the character of the beast! Great grill that would be complimented with a Discada to go on top of it every once in a while!

Oh heck NO on the painting...there "be toxic" crap in there!  Let it age gracefully with the wonderful patina that Cast Iron gets.

IMHO!

Kat

Last edited:
Going to season the grill and the inside and outside of the charcoal chamber. The lower bowl and the legs will be painted. Will update later this summer when I bring it home and get started on it.

I still think I'd season the lower bowl too. Just paint the legs, just my opinion. When you get it blasted make sure they don't use too course of a material cast iron likes to pit. My dad did a bunch of cast iron work when I was little and I think that he used walnut shell or garnet or, oh heck I don't know! I do know it wasn't the same stuff he used on steel cause he made me scoop up the media prior to him blasting the cast iron.

Before I do anything I'll talk to a couple old timers from the castings business in Pittsburgh and see what they say. Heck, the place that made it is still around, might even luck out and find someone who was there when it was made. I do want to protect it and be able to use it. The thing is really a work of art. It's useable now, and is pretty amazing. You have a range of temps from the outer rim in to the center that makes it possible to sear, roast and warm. Plus the old guy figured out such a simple and ingenious method for ash management and clog avoidance, I'm thinking of taking it to a forge and seeing if they can copy it. Ok not really, but it's a pretty remarkable thing. I've honestly never seen anything like it.

That's the beauty of seasoning it with flaxseed oil, it wouldn't rust away. Tougher finish than the paint.
I've tried oil on my antique potbelly stove that's outside and still had rust but who knows...i didn't use flaxseed, i believe it was vegetable oil.  I hate to see antiques rust, my stove is around 75 years old.   I ended up painting mine and it holds up pretty well but i'm sure whatever he does it'll look great.  

I've tried oil on my antique potbelly stove that's outside and still had rust but who knows...i didn't use flaxseed, i believe it was vegetable oil.  I hate to see antiques rust, my stove is around 75 years old.   I ended up painting mine and it holds up pretty well but i'm sure whatever he does it'll look great.  
here is some information on flaxseed oiling:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/137622/the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron-flaxseed-oil

I have several items cast iron items that we use outdoors all the time (even when we lived at the beach) that have been seasoned with flaxseed oil and they have no signs of rust anywhere.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky