my MOM got a smoker!!!!......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lisacsco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
she has been listening to me for the last couple of years talking about smoking meat and she finally got herself one!! She calls me this evening wanting to know some recipes....

So, I want you guys to help her out and post some easy recipes (and helpful hints) that you have saved up so I can email them to her. I want her to start out with some easy things-so what do you have for ribs, brisket, ATB's and fatties that you can cut and paste here for her.

I already told her about seasoning it, and the 3-2-1 rib smoke, so ANYTHING else anyone wants to add would be great!!

She wants to start on Firday!

THANKS!!!!!!!

Tell your mom she can do anything in the smoker you can do in your oven. I do more dinner time meals then just smokeing. Baked potato's with olive oil rubbed on them and dusted with some garlic powder or salt depending on your diet. Wrap in foil bust them out when done. If money is not problem invest in a good meat thermometer. My wife has gotten to the point she tells her friends she can't divorce me cause she will starve. If it sounds good in your head then it will be good in your smoker. I would suggest she start with a pork butt they are so forgiving. Which you already know.

Lisa that's cool!!
biggrin.gif

Lisa
Tell your mum congrats on her new obsession!
I say pulled pork first time out, that is such a confidence builder, after your first pulled pork you feel you can try anything!!

I know a couple of people here have said to do pulled pork first. Being a newbie myself, I have tried smoking all of the main meat groups. I have personally found that ribs (baby backs) were the easiest, most fool proof thing that I make. The 3-2-1 method vitually assures smokey, tender goodness. Second easiest thing is probably a meatloaf. ( well, actually meatloaf is the easiest thing, but these is no choice between ribs and meatloaf). I have found that good pulled pork takes practice: right rub, good tools like thermometer, good temperature control, and plenty of patience.

I hope your Mom comes to enjoy smoking the way all the rest of us seem to. I will paste my recipe for smoked meatloaf.

1.5 Lbs. Ground Sirloin
1.5 Lbs. Ground Pork
3 Jalapenos
1 whole onion
1 C bread crumbs
3 eggs
BBQ sauce
Ketchup
Heinz 57
Worchestshire
Onion Powder

Used enough of the sauces to moisten the bread crumbs. Mixed everything but the meat together first. Let it set and then added meat and mixed everything together.Smoke at 250F until internal temperature reachs 160F.

That's great!! The ribs and butt methods are pretty much universal for the crew in here it seems (for good reason!). I guess the most original thing I have done is stuffed meatloaf. To me, a bit up on the difficulty level, but here's the link...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=18778

Would have been a lot easier to make 'em in a loaf pan, but had it in my head to do it this way...

I too think she needs to get online and join us. Tell her congrats on the new smoker

Well Lisa, you know we want to help and we will be glad to show her the ropes so to speak, but we gotta know-what kind of toy (er, um, I mean) what kind of smoker did she get???
biggrin.gif

I saw this post and boy did it hit me! My mom and step-dad bought a charcoal fired Brinkmann smoker last year after hearing about all of the great stuff I was doing on my smoker (obviously after joining this site). They knew that I had a Brinkmann grill so they assumed that I had a Brinkmann smoker (I don't - it is a gas fired GOSM). Well, they tried ribs over and over because that was the main reason that they purchased the smoker - and they decided it was too difficult. About the time they were ready to give up, they called and asked what I did to make the ribs turn out so well. During that conversation I found out that they were using a much different smoker than I use (charcoal fired Brinkmann) and I suggested that they buy a dual probe thermometer because temperature control is really important. Instead they bought a gas fired smoker!

I don't know what they did with the old smoker, however I am at the point now where I am inclined to buy a stick burner! I have several temperature probes and would not smoke meat without them. I am too much of a novice to just look at a piece of meat and decide it is done - I need to be sure. And I am beginning to believe that I would like to try the "purist" approach to smoking meat.

My point is, no matter what the age of the "newbie" (my parents are in their 70's and it is great that they continue to try new things) there are certain tools needed to produce a good smoke and you should urge your mom to get the thermometer. I prefer the dual probe variety which costs more, I know, however it is much less expensive than getting frustrated and spending at a minimum another $150 - $250 on a new smoker so that you can have ribs turn out correctly.

The other point has already been made by many people much more experienced than I. If your mom does have access to the Internet, she should join this site and make good use of it. If not, do what I did. Copy Jeff's recipes (not the "for sale" recipes - that isn't good) and send them to her. My mom does have Internet access however she needed to be convinced and now she (and my step-dad) are members on this site as well. I also sent them a $50 gift certificate to purchase a dual probe thermometer so that they can get Jeff's "best ribs possible" when they smoke!

Another suggestion would be to find out what they like best. Once you know that you can steer them in the right direction regarding recipes.

Good luck and I hope your mom enjoys smoking as much as I and obviously every one else here does!

By the way - Hi Mom!

Lisa tell your mom congrats on her new smoker. Please warn her that it is a very addicting journey and there is no cure. I would say Dutchs wicked beans, since i done them the first time the wife will not do beans any other way she shared them with all her friends at work now want the recipe. smoke on.

Congrats to your Mom on her new smoker!! Think she can take some pics of her food so we can see some qvue of her first smoke??
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif
If not, tell her GREAT JOB!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky