My mini UDS builds...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bruno994

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Buna, Texas
I finally got my drums yesterday, unfortunately my guy had told me they were 30 gallon, but when he brought them by, they are actually 15 gallon.  The good thing is they are new from a local packaging facility, never been used, the liner is a pull out plastic bag, clean with lids.  The bad thing is they are 15 gallon, so I'm not sure how well they are going to work, but I'm itching to try so I'll start the build today.  Here are a few pics of what I have to work with.  They are 14" in diameter and 26" tall.  I had a little cheap Charbroil charcoal grill that my 4 year old had to have at Target one day, 'cause he wanted to BBQ like Daddy, the lid and grate off of it fit into and on the drum perfectly, so I guess I'll acquire another one of those or see about ordering some spare grates to match.

The biggest bonus to these drums, they were free, secondly it shouldn't take a lot of fuel to heat them up, but the negative is they won't hold much food, but it will be fun playing with and still small enough store without taking up too much room like a 55 gallon.  Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think most guys adapt the 15 gallon drums to the kettle portions of the small kettle grills like you have. They cut the bottom out of the drum and use the kettle for the fuel like you would normally if just BBQ'n on them. Place the drum on the kettle, and then the lid on top of the drum. Something similar to this I found on Yahoo Images (I search "15 gallon smoker"). This one is not mine and I'm not sure who built it. But looks like it would be pretty simple.

Hope this helps or gets the imagination going at least.

EDIT: Now that I look at it a bit more, this looks like an ECB body on a kettle grill. But not sure. The door might be custom.

Chad

Last edited:
Being that I already had the grates and lid, I headed to Lowes yesterday and picked up my pipe nipples, caps, nuts and after lunch got started on my Mini UDS build.  I was thinking I probably didn't need 3 inlets on such a small drum or even a valve to help control air flow, but went with 3 anyway due to the fact my main goal is to be able to cook 2 chicken halves on one of the racks at 300 degrees while at a comp along with 2 halves on my trailer smoker cooked at 250 degress and turn in which ever one comes out best for that day. 

A pic of one of my turn ins from last year...

I also would like to be able to smoke some small cuts at 250 if I choose or hot grill while at comps for breakfast (maybe some sausage or other meaty snacks if I choose, so my feelings were going with 3 inlets would give me the ability to get it hot if need be. 

I got the 3 nipples in place, the 2 sets of bolts to hold the upper and lower grates and built a small charcoal basket out of scrap pieces of expanded metal left over from my build last year...

The basket is 8" square on the bottom and 6" tall all the way around.  In this pic I have 40 unlit coals and 20 lit coals..

As you can see, it's not even halfway loaded.  I did not add any wood chunks or chips in this test run.  Let this sit out for a few minutes to make sure the lit coals were going good, then dropped it in the bottom of the drum with all 3 intakes open and the lid off for about 5 minutes.  I ran my exhaust on the lid open for the entire test also.  Then I put the lid on with all 3 intakes left open, quickly I had temps of 475 on the bottom grate (according to my Maverick 732) and 385 on the top grate.  So I shut down 2 of the intakes, took the lid off for 30 seconds to allow for the heat to evacuate, about 30 minutes later it had settled in at a bit over 300 on the bottom grate and 280 or so on the top grate.  It pretty much rode there for the next 2 hours, staying about 15 degrees hotter on the bottom grate.  I think you can easily fit an 8 pound butt on each rack or even 4 whole chickens under 5#'s each (2 on each rack).  It would be idea size to do some pork loins or tenderloins as well.  Ribs, unless the racks were cut in half would be tough, briskets would have to be separated into point and flat sections.  As for grilling, steaks, sausage, burgers, hot dogs, pork chops would all work well in the Mini UDS. 

Here is the test in progress..

A pic of the coals, grates and temp probes during the 30 second evacuation..

I'm thinking a diffuser plate of some sort would help, now finiding a 14" or slightly smaller pan or plate is the real challenge.  This should help with even heat and obvious grease and juice splatter on the coals, preventing flareups.  I am also thinking after my test run that I may need to add a valve to one of the inlets, so that I can fine tune a bit.  I feel I can get 300+ with 2 inlets open, but having 1 be adjustable won't hurt other than the pocket book.  My total test time was nearly 4 hours and I was still over the 250 mark when I pulled the probes and headed off to bed.  My belief is that if I hadn't tried the "see how hot I can get it" test, it would have lasted a good 6 or more hours on 60 coals if I choose to smoke at 225 or 250.  I plan on either another test run tonight or I might go ahead and do the burn out on the drum.  Either way I'll post more pics and updates as I continue my design and build. 

Last edited:
I have had 2 cooks on my mini UDS so far, the first one being some comp chicken practice last Saturday and again last night I threw on some burgers.  I did not get to take any pics from the chicken practice, but had some mixed results.  First of all, I did not use enough fuel (only 36 briquettes of Kingsford Blue bag), so once I put the 2 chicken halves on, I was not able to get the temp, even with all 3 intakes open, above 320, it did run steady for the entire 2 hour smoke / cook at 310-325 though, but I was really looking to get some temps in the 350+ range.  This was the main reason for me heading to Academy to get a bag of the lump oak (although I think if I would have loaded the basket up with briquettes, I could have reached the 350+ mark), being that lump burns hotter which should help me with getting the temps I'm looking for, the other was the strong taste of charcoal that permeated the chicken.  It did not taste bad, I am just not use to that flavor and have to think that maybe the judges sampling my chicken would not care for it either.  I am so used to cooking everything on my offset, where even though I use charcoal as my base for my fire, you get no charcoal taste on your food, that the taste from the drum smoke really stood out.   Here are a few pics from last nights short cook...

3/4 of my charcoal basket full with B & B Oak lump charcoal with a small piece of hickory for the smoke thrown on top.  All 3 intakes open and she held a steady 400-415 degrees for the 30 minute cook until I shut the intakes down to snuff the fire out.  There is quite a bit of lump left in the basket ready for the next cook, another chicken experiment this next weekend.  Nice smoke ring, a bit of sizzle and juicy, delish burgers on my new toy.  So, I was happy with the temp I got out of the lump and fuller basket, but I also did not have such a strong charcoal taste to the burgers.  It was there, due to the drum already having some of that taste seasoned into it, but it was faint.  I think I'll do a burn or 2 during the next few days to try and get more of the charcoal scent before the next experiment this weekend.    

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky