My first venture into kraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, glad I read your post. My wife loves kraut but can't eat most store bought because of the salt, she is very sensitive. I hear about it with every meat I smoke.

When you used the ratio you used could you taste the salt very much? If you remember, whats the smallest amount from what you looked at?
I don’t taste my kraut at 4 weeks as salty. That said if her sensitivity is health related for low sodium diet I doubt it would be ok. If it’s a taste thing I think it might work.

Reactions: Nefarious
I don’t taste my kraut at 4 weeks as salty. That said if her sensitivity is health related for low sodium diet I doubt it would be ok. If it’s a taste thing I think it might work.
It is generally a taste thing but she claims to retain too much water if she eats too much. I think I'll just go for it, I've read several recipes some use even less then you did. I already have the bubblers from beer making so all I need is some cabbage to try. I'll start where you suggested and go lower if I need to. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: jcam222
It is generally a taste thing but she claims to retain too much water if she eats too much. I think I'll just go for it, I've read several recipes some use even less then you did. I already have the bubblers from beer making so all I need is some cabbage to try. I'll start where you suggested and go lower if I need to. Thanks for the suggestion.
Lmk how it turns out. I love this stuff nice and crunchy and flavor is spot on. The fire kraut is awesome too.

Radiogal makes kraut all the time. She doesn't add water, about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon per pound of cabbage. We got a 2.6 gallon crock from Amazon. 6 to 8 weeks on the kitchen counter.

RG

20211230_201159.jpg

That is awesome. Man, we’re debating on where to move next year and my need to learn how to make sausage, ferment, can, pickle, SV, and get a trailer mounted stick burner is pushing us to a farm where I can have the space! Very inspirational and cool! Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: TNJAKE and jcam222
Radiogal makes kraut all the time. She doesn't add water, about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon per pound of cabbage. We got a 2.6 gallon crock from Amazon. 6 to 8 weeks on the kitchen counter.

RG

View attachment 520576
I don’t believe I added much if any water brine either. After the cabbages sets awhile, you squeeze snd work it and then pack right eith a kraut smasher it creates enough brine on its own. If it is a a little short of being submerged a day or two later you can add a little 3% brine solution of sea salt and distilled water. I’m going to buy an Ohio Stoneware crock next month.

Nice. Haven't tried red cabbage yet. How does it taste compared to green?

I do a lot of kraut, kimchee, green beans and pickles. Since trying fermented pickles, I don't care much for the taste of vinegar pickles anymore.
If you like bloody Mary's, home fermented veggies are great to have on hand.

Did you drill the holes for.the bubblers? I got the wife excited about this. Full steam ahead.
I bought the lids and air locks in kits on Amazon. Lids were pretty drilled and come with gaskets. You are going to love it as will she I bet. I’ve enjoyed the hot sauces, pickles, kimchi and kraut and can’t wait to make more.

I bought the lids and air locks in kits on Amazon. Lids were pretty drilled and come with gaskets. You are going to love it as will she I bet. I’ve enjoyed the hot sauces, pickles, kimchi and kraut and can’t wait to make more.
I'll win major points if I don't make it myself. I try to make everything. Thanks, I'll go order them.

I'll win major points if I don't make it myself. I try to make everything. Thanks, I'll go order them.
I order the Jillmo kits, I’ve tried the metal and plastic lids. I’d go metal. Some glass fermenting weights are worth it as well.

Reactions: BXMurphy
I did a bunch more half gallon jars of this soon after the post. I still have 3 jars of the spicy red and one jar of the plain left. They have been sealed in frig in half gallon jars. I opened them today and they all smell great with no signs of mold or any growth for that matter. To clarify as well they were not canned. Just ferment moved to drug and covered with hand tightened lid Still good to eat? Any thoughts appreciated.

I did a bunch more half gallon jars of this soon after the post. I still have 3 jars of the spicy red and one jar of the plain left. They have been sealed in frig in half gallon jars. I opened them today and they all smell great with no signs of mold or any growth for that matter. To clarify as well they were not canned. Just ferment moved to drug and covered with hand tightened lid Still good to eat? Any thoughts appreciated.
I'm no expert but I've spent a lot of time reading postings by the experts on thehotpepper site. If you haven't already, you might want to drop by there and see what they say. From what I understand, if it doesn't smell bad, it's good to eat.

Have you checked the pH?

I'm no expert but I've spent a lot of time reading postings by the experts on thehotpepper site. If you haven't already, you might want to drop by there and see what they say. From what I understand, if it doesn't smell bad, it's good to eat.

Have you checked the pH?
Thought about that earlier. I will later but willing to bet it’s 3.6 or less. Good idea though

You going to turn me into a fermentation junky! Looking at one of these E-Jen Premium Kimchi, Sauerkraut Container Probiotic Fermentation with Inner Vacuum Lid Round . Pretty cool.
Just bought one of these Brian. Got the 3.1 gallon. Arrives Thursday so I’m off to find cabbage today.

I not a Kimchi fan. Took me forever to get that smell out of the fridge. Those hot sauces now look right up my alley but those are big batches! Might have to look at more options.

Thanks jcam222 jcam222 for bumping a great thread.

Since retiring I've lost my source of homemade sauerkraut, my co-worker made the best kraut my family has ever had. Before jumping in and making our own, I have a few of questions.
How many heads of cabbage does it take to make six to eight quarts of kraut?
Is the 2.6 gal Seeutek crock on Amazon the right size to start with?
Does the finished kraut have to be canned to be shelf safe or can you just vacuum seal the quart jars?
Many thanks.

Thanks jcam222 jcam222 for bumping a great thread.

Since retiring I've lost my source of homemade sauerkraut, my co-worker made the best kraut my family has ever had. Before jumping in and making our own, I have a few of questions.
How many heads of cabbage does it take to make six to eight quarts of kraut?
Is the 2.6 gal Seeutek crock on Amazon the right size to start with?
Does the finished kraut have to be canned to be shelf safe or can you just vacuum seal the quart jars?
Many thanks.
I’ll be better qualified to answer the size question after this weekend. I’ll be doing a batch in the new 3.1 gallon. Finished kraut is stable in the refrigerator for many months at least. Key is to insure it’s submerged in the brine. I have some still from this batch and I swear it smells and looks fine. For fermenting vessel I’ve decided to give the item below a shot. Have heard fantastic things about ease of use and being plastic ease of movement when full.
7D903ED0-9FE0-452E-BB0C-5A0C28956895.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky