my first turnips of the year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello JimHolmes.  Neeps are the slang in the U.K.  Turnips stuffed with sausage meat and baked.  Turnip and potato mash.  Turnip and carrot mash.  BUT!  My goodness Foamheart!  You are the REAL DEAL country!  Turnip greens?  When I used to talk about them back in Tx. few folks had tried them and you can IMAGINE talking about eating them over here across the pond.  Beet greens also.  JimHolmes if you haven't tried turnip greens I think you are missing a trick IMHO.  Not to mention half your crop being thrown away.  It's a southern country folk dish.  I can give you a recipe and I am sure some other folks could as well.  They have a little bitter flavour but work well and hold there own with smoked meats.  Nice looking turnips by the way.  I have also heard of baking them with butter and brown sugar making almost like a dessert or sweet side dish; unfortunately I don't have a recipe.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

yep i do love turnips foamheart i grew up on a hog farm so if its pork ive eaten it. turnip greens i never developed a taste for they are an aquired taste. this little batch i just cubed and sauteed in butter nice and tender with a little sweetness. the butter and brown sugar sounds good kinda like baked butternut squash recipe

Hello JimHolmes.  I agree turnip greens are DEFINATELY an acquired taste.  I thought I'd send along a recipe should you want to give 'em another try.  The secret for southern turnip greens is in the last line.  The vinegar, pepper mix works IMHO.  Cubed turnips can be added ( you might want to adjust spices ).  Truth be known I think turnip greens can easily cook for an hour or more and not suffer.  And I have even heard of folks adding cubed turnips and a can or 2 ( depending on how much you are cooking ) of well rinsed black-eyed peas but I have never tried this. Worst case scenerio is you lose 6-8 slices of bacon.  Best case scenerio you utilise 1/2 your wasted crop.  Just a thought.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

TURNIP GREENS – Enough for a big pot, fully washed.  They do not shrink like spinach.

6-8 THICK SLICES - SMOKED BACON - CHOPPED

1 LARGE CLOVE - GARLIC – MINCED

1/2 med. - ONION – CHOPPED

1/2 tsp. – SALT

1/2 tsp. – CRACKED BLACK PEPPER

RENDER THE BACON ON MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL ALMOST COOKED CRISPY ( YOU WANT TO RENDER THE FAT ).  REDUCE HEAT.  ADD ONION AND SAUTE UNTIL ONION IS ALMOST CLEAR.  CONTINUE TO SAUTE UNTIL ONIONS ARE CLEAR.  ADD WATER TO COVER BOTTOM OF PAN ABOUT 1 INCH.  BRING TO BOIL.  ADD GREENS.  STIR WELL.  COVER AND COOK ABOUT 10 TO 15 MINUTES STIRRING OFTEN.  SERVE WITH TRAPPEY'S PEPPER SAUCE.

I eat turnips like they were apples...   Crunchy, juicy, tangy.......  almost like a Granny Smith.......   sliced and dipped.... In Pico de Gallo....  Good root veggie to have around.......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky