My first Texas Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trying2smoketex

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Burleson, Texas
Greetings All,

I'm a classic Texas slow smoke brisket kind of guy! If someone would have suggested I place a Boston Pork Butt on my heavy steel firewood smoker, I would heave immediately swatted them with my Texas sized "Skeeter" eliminator! I recently purchased the Masterbuilt 40 digital electric smoker, I have been impressed with its ease and design.

After reading many threads on successes with Smoking Boston Pork Butt, I decided to go for it...that's right...No brisket! In the dark of the night using Mr Skelly's post, I purchased the Pork Butt (bone in), rinsed it clean, covered it in mustard as directed(I personally hate mustard) and covered it in Atkins package rub. I wrapped it and placed it into the fridge for 12 hours of marinating.

Following a night of marinating, I preheated the new Masterbuilt smoker to 225, set the water level in the pan to specs, selected top shelf for max smoke and consistent heat, fat side down, probe inserted. I immediately began with 1/2 cup of mesquite chips (dry). I added chips approximately every 1.5 hours as needed over the next 7. 5 hours. I have to admit that I had full intention to wrap the pork in aluminum foil at internal temp of 165 degrees, but I was side tracked and never wrapped the meat in foil or sprayed the meat down with any apple juice.

After 7.5 hours of smoking I pulled the Butt off of the rack:

This was one of the best pieces of smoked pork I have ever cooked and ever eaten. My wife sliced some of it like brisket, but it was so tender we followed Mr Skelly's methods and pulled it apart. I was so astounded by the fantastic taste, I called over several of my BBQ fanatics to sample in tortillas! There was no mustard taste at all in the meat! Outstanding!

Scott

Reactions: bdskelly
From now on, mine will be Minnesota Pork butts.....>Lol.....
laugh1.gif

Reactions: trying2smoketex
Scott.

Well done. And i'm happy to see a fellow Johnson County boy proudly out of the pork closet! 
50.gif
  Texans can't live by brisket lone. 

Keep em coming!

Brian  

Reactions: trying2smoketex
Also from Burleson ,moved to East Texas, Burleson got too big for this country boy.
Putting on a butt, some baby backs and chicken for the GAME Sunday, I have a 40" MES
W/Window. Have turned out some awesome meats so far. Don't need much reason to smoke
something. Just "Because" is usually good enough for me.
Good to see someone from home is enjoying the "smoke". Ya'll have a good day.
Mike & Lisa

Also from Burleson ,moved to East Texas, Burleson got too big for this country boy.
Putting on a butt, some baby backs and chicken for the GAME Sunday, I have a 40" MES
W/Window. Have turned out some awesome meats so far. Don't need much reason to smoke
something. Just "Because" is usually good enough for me.
Good to see someone from home is enjoying the "smoke". Ya'll have a good day.
Mike & Lisa
Welcome!  

Hey Trying,
looks like you ol' BD set you up right. Nice when a plan comes together, huh? Welcome to the forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky