My First Smoked Whole Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martyb

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
This was my first 5 lb.  whole chicken.    I brined it overnight in the Slaughterhouse poultry brine recipe found here.   Also used the Slaughterhouse poultry injection found here as well.  Both very simple to make especially since I already had all the ingredients.  I already had Jeff's rub made up, put it on and in the smoker it went.   I smoked it with a Hickory/Apple and wood mix for 2.5 hours at 275 and got the internal temp to 165.   I then took it out the smoker and let the Chicken sit in foil for 30 minutes.

My family and I loved it.   I'm really enjoying my new found hobby.  Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Can't tell for sure from the pic, but the skin looks good.

The rubber skin is the big knock on smoked chicken, but there are ways to fix that.

I love a good smoked or even grilled whole chix on the Weber kettle!

Good luck and good smoking.

Can't tell for sure from the pic, but the skin looks good.

The rubber skin is the big knock on smoked chicken, but there are ways to fix that.

I love a good smoked or even grilled whole chix on the Weber kettle!

Good luck and good smoking.
The skin was good, it wasn't rubber like at all.   I was afraid of that actually.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky