My First Smoke!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

michaelweeter89

Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Couple weeks ago I picked me up the small and portable GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill. I have done steak, chicken, and burgers on it but have only tested the smoking on the steaks and turns out, THE FLAVOR IS FANTASTIC. So I got bold and daring enough to finally attempt my first real smoke job. I thought, lets go for a pork butt since its cheap and pretty much fool proof. I picked up a Boston Butt from my local butcher and then realized vacuum sealed in the package was 2 - 4.5lb butts vs a single 9lb butt. Lesson learned to ask next time.

Anyways, yesterday I basted it with some yellow mustard for a binder and liberally seasoned it with Killer Hogs BBQ rub and let it marinate in the fridge for about 6 hours. Due to some appointments I have today, I was juggling on when to start the cook and figured since I am vacuum sealing it for a family lunch tomorrow that is out of town, I figured I would go ahead and start it around 12:30am. Yeah I know it's early but I just got off a week of 3rd shift at work and use to being up during this time. Anyways, preheated the smoker to 225* with some GMG Fruitwood pellets and off I went. Monitored both butts until each one hit 160* internal and then wrapped them in double aluminum foil. Then proceeded to cook until 195 internal. Let rest for about an hour then off to pulling. This pork turned out better than I expected. So tender and juicy and GREAT flavor. I combined both butts into a single aluminum pan and have it currently in the freezer chilling and plan to vacuum seal as soon as the temp hits just below 40*. Will reheat tomorrow via boiling water and letting it simmer until it reaches 165*. Saved the juices to help moisten back up and also made up a small bottle of finishing sauce if needed. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 28
Sounds like you did your research and nailed it! Looks great and your reheating plan is solid. I reheat mine in large amounts simply in a roasting pan when I have plenty of juice to mix back through with great results. I’d also say if when pulling you found any resistance you can take it to about 205F. Each butt is different, the greatest test is to probe it between 190 and 205, pull when the probe slides in like it’s going into warm butter. Great job!

Thank you jcam! I didn’t have much resistance at all. I was a little skeptical at removing from the grill at 190 but I left them in the double wrapped foil to rest for an hour and figured I’d get some carry over by the time I pulled it. I’m a huge fan of vacuum sealing and honestly need to start doing it more but I figured it would retain the most flavor and smoke if I did it that way but it’s all a learning experience. Also, my family function is 3 hours from home but for when it’s at the house, I will def keep the roasting pan in mind for future smokes. Thank you for the positive vibes. I appreciate it.

Reactions: jcam222
Great job! Ill be surprised if there are any leftovers! Make sure you get some before your guests dive in!lol!

WOA dude! if thats your fist you are off to a great start. good lookin cook there! keep the smoke rollin!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky