My First Slauderhouse Brined Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greenrn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Pawnee, Oklahoma
Yesterday morning I Put A 10 pound Turkey in a plastic Trash bag and poured in my Slauterhouse brine mixture. Put it in an ice chest and poured 10# ice over it. 12 hours later I drained and washed the bird. I was unable to inject the recommended solution because it ws so thick. So I rubbed in into the outside skin of the turkey and poured the remaining into the cavity. Into the MES 40 for 4 hours at 225 with Apple chips, then foiled foiled for additional 4 hours. IT was 167. Uncovered and set in a hot oven for 30 min to brown. Forgot to Spritz,!

It looks good what did you think of the taste?

Looks Great!  Is that stuffing inside?  At 225° stuffing isn't recommended as it takes too long to get it to temp and can form nasties, like botulism, inside.  At 325° - 350° the whole bird, including stuffing, raises in temp much quicker and much safer. Just an FYI for next time.

The bird had an good taste after the brine, the dark meat was especially tender and kinda sweet garlic hint. The cavity of the turkey is holding the poultry injection that was too thick to inject.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky