My First Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghost308

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Missouri
Well after many visits here I finally had to give it a shot and try makeing my own canadian bacon. I couldn't decide wheather to use a brine cure or a dry cure so I did both , I put 6 lbs of pork loins in a brine for 6 days and 3 lbs in a dry cure for the same time and smoked them today at 150 for 7 hours with a combo of hickory and apple chips I can only get to 150 with my home built electric smoker so it's going to need a quick touch in the frying pan. the birne cure I used came form you friendly folks here I just tinkered with the spices to my taste.
The dry cure was 3 tbs mortens tender quick and 3 tbs brown sugar, drained every 2 days then rinsed and re-applyed. I hope the pics come out , heck I hope it taste as good as it looks and smells :)
9d5c5ee9_vbattach11639.jpg

825e88f5_vbattach11638.jpg

Looks good Ghost! I make about 6-7 lbs a month…good stuff-no fat! Did you apply a rub before you smoked? I do, but I found out that after it is smoked, it is better to rinse/scrub the rub off (it did itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s job), so it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get all messy and get all over your hands when you go to slice it up for breakfast. Youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be makin that stuff all the time now!

This morning I fried up some of my canadian bacon and all I can say is WOW !!
I'll never eat store bought again ! thanks to all of you for your post.
It wasn't salty at all and the apple chips left a nice sweet flavor, now I wonder what I should try next ? pork bellies ? salmon ? who knows, but with the help from all of you I know it will be good !
oh and the avatar thats from 2003 deer season , 179 2/8 points BC

I've tryed both bacons now , and for me the brine was the better of the 2, my wife likes the dry cured because it is a little salty, both were very good, if I would have known how easy it was I'd have done this years ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky