My First Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
So, had a small pack of 4 boneless CSRs ... and another pack of chicken breasts ... reasonably nice weather, so ...
Since I am thinking burnt ends on Super Bowl Sunday if the Chiefs get through (no spoilers please, I have it DVR’d but won’t watch until later), thought I’d give it a low risk try on these country ribs.
I brined both the CSRs and the chicken for about 6-7 hours ... basic brine with some brown sugar and black pepper added. (More on that later)
Coated with some Big Cock Ranch Special Shit (more on that later)
Into the smoker with Hickory and a bit of Apple, temp swings from about 220-260.
Pulled the CSRs at 140, cubed, added more rub, Mix of Sweet Baby Ray Honey BBQ and a Memphis style BBQ sauces, and butter. Back on the smoker for another couple hours, and waiting for the chicken to hit 160. Was very strange and unusual how the chicken took a long time and sorta plateaued at 120-125 for a while
Finished product shown.

Takeaways:
* I didn’t want a lot of sugar in the rub since going to be saucing the ends, but I should have thought about this rub being a little salt-heavy and following a brine probably too long. Turned out not noticeable on the CSRs but is on the chicken.
* Think I had a bad probe in the chicken, took longer and came out drier than usual. When I brought it inside and checked with instant read, had temps higher than desired. Shoulda checked sooner.
* The first eating of the burnt ends tasty, but not as tender as should be. Second time heated in the oven for 90 minutes and checked/probed, and this time fantastic. I don’t think my wife has been this happy with CSRs or PP before in any format.
*May do another trial run, this time with a chucky or round before doing it with a brisket.
* Getting up now for last leftover CSR’s and watch the Chiefs/Browns game ... happy happy :emoji_wink:

7D6C4319-BE75-43D8-9AE3-579993F11084.jpeg
E85FC5E5-8DB1-45C0-B69B-3FF23298282D.jpeg
4397AED4-263E-459F-B826-D0D8BBD91C8E.jpeg
8E323017-3774-4140-962E-5C6E3A3D4283.jpeg
12694653-D4C2-43FF-8784-3E2C013E54EA.jpeg

All looks delicious bud. When I do any kind of burnt ends I cover my pan with foil when it's time to sauce and such. That will help you with the tenderness you were after

Looks tasty! Never made burnt ends before either, it's on the to do list!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky