my first build

Discussion in 'Smoker Builds' started by raysray, Oct 23, 2014.

1. raysray

raysray Newbie

2. raysray

raysray Newbie

I've already done some work on it. Its going to be a 60gal rf. I made the firebox a tad on the large side in case I wanted to add a wormming box. Fb is 20x18x18. I guess if its too big I'll add some fire brick to take up some volume.

3. raysray

raysray Newbie

4. Nice start to a nice smoker. Don't worry about the fire box being to big. You just don't throw that extra log in [​IMG]. To small of a fire box and you would have trouble. Keep the pics coming.

Happy smoken.

David

5. Looking good

Gary

6. raysray

raysray Newbie

Made the fb to cc a 12" simicircle.

7. raysray

raysray Newbie

I do have a one question. For now. I don't have a lot of 1/4 inch plate left. I have about 20" or so by 20". Was wandering if I could put that at the fb to cc opening and then add 1/8" to it or wait till I have enough 1/4" to build the rf plate all the way across.

8. raysray

raysray Newbie

the burn out. Had to do it twice.

9. raysray

raysray Newbie

Next is to cure it and then install the rf plate.

10. wolfman1955

wolfman1955 Master of the Pit

IMHO I woulld wait and use all 1/4inch. would hate to have troubles down the road.
    Keep Smokin!!!
    Wolf

11. You have a nice smoker, I would wait, you wont be sorry

Gary

12. raysray

raysray Newbie

Thanks. Just getting a little hungry for some BBQ. Guess I'll try and get some tomorrow.

13. raysray

raysray Newbie

OK. Here's where you all come in. What I have found is that I may need a heat deflector to keep from having a hot spot. This is what I have

14. raysray

raysray Newbie

My question is. Is 8" into the cook chamber with a 1" gap good enough or do I need to extend the plate in more?

15. raysray

raysray Newbie

Anyone? And is it just to keep direct heat off the rf plate?

16. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I suggest extending it farther, with perforations so the exhaust isn't all released at one point.

Man if I had some serious money I would re-create my junior high school metal shop. I love dinking around with fabricating metal.

17. raysray

raysray Newbie

18. raysray

raysray Newbie

Got the intake done and the exhaust done today. And I was given a full truck load of hickory. I'd say today was a good day.

19. raysray

raysray Newbie

20. raysray

raysray Newbie

well I got the rf plate in still need to build the cooking grate. Thought I'd do a high temp test run. All I have to say is wow. Got "Frankensmoker" as my wife calls it, up to temp 300° give or take. Got it stable. And then just waited. It held 318° so long at one point I thought my wireless thermometer had gone bad. It held in that range for 3.5 hrs and only put four logs on. It would have gone longer but I had all the info I needed to do a turkey so I went to bed.