My first build, help me please! reverse flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks. One more question for clarification. Because it exits the side about 6" from the top of the cc, does the pipe length start at the top of the cc which would actually make the exhaust tube 36" in lenght Or do I just do 30" from where the pipe starts its vertical ascent? Instead of a box then the round tube on the side, I think I'll just use the round tubing all the way.

I believe Dave may be along to confirm this, but my understanding  is the height of the chimney should be measured from the top of the CC. Remember, you have to think of this as an air pump, you have to overcome the hot air moving down if your chimney is not on the top of the CC. The further down you put your chimney, the more important it is to have a chimney that can use draft to pull hot air down to where it can get out. Don't over think this, just try to wrap your head around the concept of making water run uphill, you need relative vacuum ie, differential pressure.

http://feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html  Read the notes under Chimney Size and look at the pictures, all of the chimneys are on top of the CC.

Thank you everyone. Here are some updated pics.

Cc cut. I am pretty happy with the fit but will probably end up using a gasket of some sort.

Making sure I have a 31 sq inch hole per my calculations (I've used more graph paper in the last two weeks than my entire life! It helps me visualize things.

I treated the instal of the firebox like a VW engine install. Jack it in place with the Jack.

All lined up perrrrfect!

Next was to start the base. Since I am one man show, my chain hoist worked perfect!

The RF plate could not have fit more perfect! It matches up with the firebox perfect!

Here is where I stand. Overall, I could not be happier. Everything is square and looks awesome. My welds aren't great but are getting much better. Next is to finalize the small odds and ends. Vent handles, FB door latches, wheels, etc.

Now I just pray my calculations are accurate!

Last edited:
Done! Well, I still need to paint it and put on the spring handles but it is now useable. I am very proud of how it came together! Thanks to everyone here who helped me! Yesterday I did a test run/break in. Today I cook! It easily held temps from 200-375 so I am happy!

Painted and done. I am going to summarize the specs in case I ever (or anyone else runs across this thread) need to reference it. Thanks again everyone for the help.

33 gallon craftsman air compressor
FB - 14 x 14 x 16 tall (3/16" thick)
31 sq inches fb opening
31" area under rf plate and at end of rf plate
RF plate 13.75" wide
25" stack made from 3" OD (2.75" inside diam.)
9" of air inlets

Last edited:
Looks great! Patiently waiting for pictures of that long awaited first cook...
congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Well, I cheated. I actually cooked its first unofficial meal on it last week prior to painting. It was opening day and I was anxious!

This is the only pic I have. The sausage and wings were great, the ribs just ok. My first official cook will be this weekend. Thinking chicken.

Looks good, enjoy. I am still working on my RF 38''x 60''. chimney /door /grates left. Look up “3-2-1 method for ribs” – you said yours were “ok”

A few updates.

While this is the first side box smoker I have ever used, I am still learning exactly how these things should work.  It seemed as though the smoke was building in the CC.  When I opened the door it would be a spinning vortex of thick smoke.  Sometimes I could get rid of this and burn "clean smoke" by taking the temps up to around 300-325.  I want this thing to work optimally from 250-400.  So I made a few adjustments.

First I fixed my exhaust stack.  Based on advice I received on this forum, I think the elbow was affecting the flow. 

old

New

My air intake holes didn't seem right either.  My bottom vent was at the same level as the fire grate so I moved it to below the fire grate.  I also angled the vent opening for a more precise tuning.  I also moved the upper vent higher and skinnier again for more precise air tuning.

Old vents

NEW

I have only used it once since the changes but it already seems better.  I still think I have a huge learning curve to get over (again this being the only side firebox smoker I have ever used...I don't know how they are 'supposed' to react to changes/function). 

QUESTION for those of you familiar with how these thigns work.  I am still having trouble getting a "clean" smoke at low temps (250).  I can keep the temps that low but the smoke just doesn't seem super clean.  Does this mean my fire is too big?  Since making the above changes, the fire seems to burn more efficient and I didn't need as much wood...but I still want a cleaner smoke at low temps.  At 300 degrees and hotter it seems easy to get that clean smoke...but I want to smoke at lower temps.  My thermometer is calibrated too.

Keep on smokin' 

Last edited:
They react slow.... lots of thermal mass to adjust to the new adjustments.... How does the opening between the CC and FB look... Are all the air leaks sealed up.... You should be good to go...

All air leaks are 100% sealed.  I added a gasket and clamps to the CC door.  FB to CC opening looks good and clear...so long as my math was correct originally.

Having learned smoking on a big green egg, I have learned to be patient with adjustments.  It seems as though by the time the temp finally settles (after making a vent adjustment) and things look good with the clean smoke, I need to add more wood which makes it burn dirty again.  I do heat them on top of the FB.  I am thinking the wood I am adding needs to be a little thinner/smaller so it can burn instead of smolder at the lower temps.  Should I have to constantly adjust the vents after adding wood or after the wood has burned for 30 minutes or so or once a good setting is found, should the vents remain largely untouched (on a perfectly good working smoker)?

Last edited:
I don't recall reading if you mentioned the size of pipe used for that exhaust. What's the size and length of it?
That is usually where my bottleneck occurs.

From your last reply, when you add new wood give it 1-2 minutes of burn time where you can see a fire on the new log, before closing the firebox door again. that method seems to work for me to minimize the extra white smoke.

I don't recall reading if you mentioned the size of pipe used for that exhaust. What's the size and length of it?
That is usually where my bottleneck occurs.
Pipe is 2.75" inside diameter.  About 30".  I have thought about trying a 3.25" inside diameter but I am tired of working on it!

Quote:
From your last reply, when you add new wood give it 1-2 minutes of burn time where you can see a fire on the new log, before closing the firebox door again. that method seems to work for me to minimize the extra white smoke.
I will give that a try.  My next smoke I am going to try and make a smaller fire, leave the upper vent almost all the way closed and use smaller pieces of wood.  I also think I have been using too much upper vent.

Another question, should I be using any charcoal in addition to the hardwoods?  When I started on this journey, I was hoping to only burn wood and not have to deal with charcoal...that's what the egg is for.

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky