My first brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I've smoked a lot of different things. But the closest I've ever come to with a brisket was smoking corned beef for pastrami.
Well, thanks to Robert tx smoker tx smoker . That changed.

OI000017 (1).jpg

Robert sent me this competition cut brisket. And recommended this rub. Which I bought and used.
There was no trimming needed to get this ready. I did however had to cut it in half because it would not fit in my smoker.
I removed the flat and gave it a generous rub of the spice. And let it sit 2 days in the fridge.
Yesterday was smoke day! It was a miserable cold and windy day with spotty snow flurries. So, I gave it 4 hours of smoke.
Then finished in the house.

OI000034.jpg

I love the bark on this! This was after it rested about a hour.

OI000036.jpg

My brisket knife just slid through this beauty.

OI000038.jpg

Plated shot. This may look dry. But it is not. Nice and moist. And no knife needed to cut it. I just used my fork.
I am quite pleased with the results. And highly recommend Piedmontese beef.
A huge thanks to my friend Robert for gifting this to me. His generosity knows no end. Now I need to figure out what to use the point for!

Looks real good Steve. Love that Bark! The plated shot looks juicy as well. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

That looks great. I'm glad it came out well. Im thinking I will cook a brisket this week too!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Steve, I keep falling in love with your sides--Geez--Those Taters look as good as your Shrooms did the other day/ Beautiful brisket. Great bark!

Steve I wouldn't push my chair back to leave that table. I would have to push the table away making room for me to get up. Nice job congrats on a first.
Richie

Looks real good Steve. Love that Bark! The plated shot looks juicy as well. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Mike!

Great looking beef! Congrats on a job well done!
Thank you!

That looks great. I'm glad it came out well. Im thinking I will cook a brisket this week too!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Thanks Aaron! I'm glad it did too. That was a rather pricy cut of meat. And I really didn't want to screw it up.

Steve, I keep falling in love with your sides--Geez--Those Taters look as good as your Shrooms did the other day/ Beautiful brisket. Great bark!
Thanks Charlie! These taters are easier then the stuffed mushrooms.
Just get some small taters. Coat with olive oil and salt. Put in the oven at 325 degrees until the tender. Then remove and let them cool down to room temp. Then freeze. (that's the trick)
When ready to use. Put them in a frying pan that is good and hot. Add a couple tablespoons of butter. And fry until heated through.

Reactions: Jabiru
Steve I wouldn't push my chair back to leave that table. I would have to push the table away making room for me to get up. Nice job congrats on a first.
Richie

Thanks Richie! I was stuffed. But there is leftovers for brisket sammies.

Thanks Mike!

Thank you!

Thanks Aaron! I'm glad it did too. That was a rather pricy cut of meat. And I really didn't want to screw it up.

Thanks Charlie! These taters are easier then the stuffed mushrooms.
Just get some small taters. Coat with olive oil and salt. Put in the oven at 325 degrees until the tender. Then remove and let them cool down to room temp. Then freeze. (that's the trick)
When ready to use. Put them in a frying pan that is good and hot. Add a couple tablespoons of butter. And fry until heated through.
WHAT ? Freeze? I guess that is better than poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Steve H
My Dearest Annabelle
I hope this letter finds you and the children well and that the spring harvest brings in a good crop.
Please give the children my love and tell them that we fight this battle not for us.. but for them - Devotedly yours, Atticus
P.S. (Steve H. freezes his taters)

Last edited:
My Dearest Annabelle
I hope this letter finds you and the children well and that the spring harvest brings in a good crop.
Please give the children my love and tell them that we fight this battle not for us.. but for them - Devotedly yours, Atticus
P.S. (I spoke with Steve H. and he freezes his taters!)
It's too early to be drinking charlie

That looks awesome Steve nice job

Steve you nailed it!! Color is beautiful and as others said those taters are money too. Can’t wait to see my favorite part of that brisket which is the point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky