My First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice to hear about your adventure!

Yeah you pulled it too early. Brisket and pork butts and beef ribs are done when they pass the tenderness test. When the IT is about 198-200F (I check at 200) of the thickest yet center most part of the flat muscle (the only muscle in your cook) you stab ALL OVER with a wooden kabob skewer or osmething similar. If it goes in with no resistance ALL OVER then it is tender and therefore ready.
If it has resistance then rewrap and continue and wait another couple of degrees and try again until it probes tender :)

Don't worry you can totally save it.
1 of 2 similar ways.

1. Throw it in a croc pot on high setting with some bbq sauce and let it go for a long while and then it will be fall apart tender which is AMAZING for sandwiches, tacos, wraps, on baked potatoes, mixed with cream cheese and stuffed in bacon wrapped grilled jalapenos, etc. etc.
This is honestly one of my favorite ways to eat brisket

2. Throw it into a foil pan with bbq sauce and a little water, cover really air tight, and set to 350F for about 2-3 hours. You get the same thing as the crock pot version.

So final word... you did really well for your first time. You got the right type of flavor and bark and such and it wasn't completely dry. The brisket flat is the problem child of the 2 brisket muscles and if I ever did flats alone I would wrap them at about 180F with a little liquid and let them go until really probe tender.

Keep at it and once you nail it, try 100% mesquite for the most amazing brisket flavor ever! :)
WOW-what a reply tallbm. I can't thank you enough, 100% mesquite--Unreal. I want to try a flat again since I know where I went wrong now- thanks. You said wrap at 180 IT---foil or paper? Defnitely going to print this out and keep it. I am a stranger to you and you go out of your way to help me...What a forum. Charlie

Good advice from everyone. I probe for tenderness. My sweet spot has been between 203-205. I rest in a cooler for 2-4 hours
I pulled at 195 IT -wrapped in towel--put in preheated cooler for several hours- It SHOULD have worked. Each piece of meat is different -I made the horrible mistake of "NOT PROBING" for that BUTTA feel..LOL Not making excuses but my mind was shot. 2 Aleve and 3 tylenol and a stick on patch--and back was hurting worse than ever. Narrow butcher paper looked like a child wrapped it. I think I was at Wits End.

When you pulled it at 195 IT, and it wasn't done, you could have rewrapped in paper and put back in smoker until IT went to 200n then check for probe tenderness, similar to a toothpick going into room temp butter.
If not tender recheck every 5 degrees or so until it's where you want it. Also did you slice it against the grain? That also makes it more tender. Repetition will get you where you need to be. My first Brisket many years ago, way before I found this forum and I didn't know anything was awful. I only cooked it to 140 IT no wrap nothing, cause I said "it's beef, so I'll cook it like a steak." Now many Briskets and years later, life and Briskets are a lot better.
I need to check about the grain. I can't tell where it is.....damn...I will try that, You are 100% right--and the good thing is--I know it (now). I really appreciate your guidance-Guess I will use the "Insert toothpicke at the end of the meat before cooking to show the grain" trick

Reactions: MJB05615
I need to check about the grain. I can't tell where it is.....damn...I will try that, You are 100% right--and the good thing is--I know it (now). I really appreciate your guidance-Guess I will use the "Insert toothpicke at the end of the meat before cooking to show the grain" trick
When checking for tenderness, poke with toothpick all over the Flat, like Tallbm suggested. Make sure it is probe tender all over. If not tender all over, it's not done yet. Some people cut a very small piece off the end before cooking to expose the grain, so when it's done, they can see which way the grain runs. I don't. When I start cutting it when done, I look at first piece I cut and determine the grain direction.

Reactions: Millberry
A brisket flat is about the hardest piece of meat to get done right, especially if it’s Choice or Select. They have very little marbling. I have done several with this method & they always turn out tender & juicy. You may want to give it a try.
Al

A brisket flat is about the hardest piece of meat to get done right, especially if it’s Choice or Select. They have very little marbling. I have done several with this method & they always turn out tender & juicy. You may want to give it a try.
Al
Oh YES--I saved that a few weeks ago. I am dying to try it. I have already bought my soup.,LOL,,Thanks

3 hours thanks---
Gotcha. Sounds like you just pulled it out early. After the stall, where the water basically all evaporates out of the meat, your juiciness comes from the rendering of the fat. It does really need to hit 200-210 for that last bit of magical fat rendering to occur.

Smarter and more experienced folks here can chime in if I am being too simplistic.

Looking forward to seeing your second cook and how it turns out!

Gotcha. Sounds like you just pulled it out early. After the stall, where the water basically all evaporates out of the meat, your juiciness comes from the rendering of the fat. It does really need to hit 200-210 for that last bit of magical fat rendering to occur.

Smarter and more experienced folks here can chime in if I am being too simplistic.

Looking forward to seeing your second cook and how it turns out!
I will definitely remember that ! Thx so much!

Reactions: Displaced Texan
WOW-what a reply tallbm. I can't thank you enough, 100% mesquite--Unreal. I want to try a flat again since I know where I went wrong now- thanks. You said wrap at 180 IT---foil or paper? Defnitely going to print this out and keep it. I am a stranger to you and you go out of your way to help me...What a forum. Charlie

No problem, I enjoy sharing and learning, this is a great community!
I wrap with foil. If adding liquid I would think foil would be the ticket since you are going for a bit of a braised/steam tendering effect and helping it stay keep juicy.

Now I have done beef chucks which to me is just about like a brisket flat and I wrap at 180F so it gets very good flavor and good enough bark to stand up to liquid and foil wrap. For liquid I splash some leftover wine in the fridge, or some water, or just whatever, Im not picky about it.

If you get the tenderness test to pass you solve like 99% of your issues. If it's tender all over it will slice with no problem. Heck if too tender and too hot it may want to shred some so rest it before slicing.
Many people in TX "cheat" and they foil it and cook it really hard so it has no choice but to get tender and stay juicy BUT it will shred apart on u. What they do is throw it in the fridge and the next day they slice pencil thin while cold cause it holds together like a champ and can slice very thin and consistently.
Then they place it all back together and wrap again in the foil and heat it up, or they take the slices and warm up those cambro/buffet type heating trays with some bbq sauce and its outstanding brisket the easy way :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
No problem, I enjoy sharing and learning, this is a great community!
I wrap with foil. If adding liquid I would think foil would be the ticket since you are going for a bit of a braised/steam tendering effect and helping it stay keep juicy.

Now I have done beef chucks which to me is just about like a brisket flat and I wrap at 180F so it gets very good flavor and good enough bark to stand up to liquid and foil wrap. For liquid I splash some leftover wine in the fridge or just whatever, Im not picky about it.

If you get the tenderness test to pass you solve like 99% of your issues. If it's tender all over it will slice with no problem. Heck if too tender and too hot it may want to shred some so rest it before slicing.
Many people in TX "cheat" and they foil it and cook it really hard so it has no choice but to get tender and stay juicy BUT it will shred apart on u. What they do is throw it in the fridge and the next day they slice pencil thin while cold cause it holds together like a champ and can slice very thin and concistently.
Then they place it all back together and wrap again in the foil and heat it up, or they take the slices and warm up those cambro/buffet type heating trays with some bbq sauce and its outstanding brisket the easy way :)
I sure learn a lot on here.I will never forget the phrase " they foil it and cook it really hard so it has no choice but to get tender and stay juicy " I appreciate you explaining all this to me.

Reactions: tallbm
Seems like you got a ton of good advice already. If it's not to late you can take that brisket and make a good hash or chili out of it.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky