My First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newnavysmoker

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Hampton Roads, Virginia

I am smoking my first brisket flat tomorrow. Plan on doing a marinade today and then a rub tonight, over night.

Looking for and tips and advice for a first timer. Using a Chevrolet duo with FAB. Added a seal around cook chamber relocated stack to create a reverse flow.

I will add to this thread as i move along.

Welcome, I to will be doing a brisket tomorrow (a whole Packer 16#)   I keep mine pretty simple  light coat of olive oil salt and course ground black pepper, then on the smoker. I really like to taste the meat, so no injecting or marinades, On occasion I inject my pork shoulders, usually with just apple juice.

Gary

I wish I had got a full brisket. Just couldn't spend over $100 on a full size one. Plus with church and everything I wouldnt have time tomorrow. So thats why I chose the smaller flat.

Welcome.  The best advice I can give you is just go with your gut and try it!!!.  Everybody has a little different rubs that they like and little different ways of smoking them.  Since this is your first, Just make sure you got the temp you want and be patient for once that stall rolls around.  Just remember, if you're lookin, It ain't cooking.  Lol. 

Hello.  Good luck on that brisket.  That Gary is a man after my own heart.  Must be a Texas thing.
texas.gif
 Good beef, salt, pepper and some smoke.  Nothing else needed.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Mine was $39.00  -    $2.49 a lb     I understand, yours shouldn't take near as long.  One thing about BBQ, go with what you like, I was only expressing on how I like to do mine. There is no right way, just the way you and your family likes it.  Be sure and post some pictures and let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck

Gary

Reactions: kc5tpy
Well said Gary!  Couldn't agree more!!  If you like marinades or rubs then by all means!  I also try praying to the great smoking gods now and then.  Whatever works for you and whatever your family likes is the way to go.  I don't follow a lot of the "rules" except for food safety.  I think my PM will show that, and as I stated it's only my way.  With some of these things, if you are retired and have all the time in the world then some experimentation and REALLY slow cooking is the thing for you.  If you can achieve the same results by a different method and it fits your busy schedule then go for it.  It's like ordering a steak; some folks say well done is a bad thing; but if you LIKE it well done then you should have it that way.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Exactly Danny,

In my 40 years of smoking I have tried way to many to count methods of rubs, injections, marinades etc. When I do my ribs and brisket tomorrow the ribs will be different. #2 son and one grandson like dry and spicy (real spicy) everybody else like sweet, spicy and wet. So I will fix them both ways. It also depends on who I am cooking for, I will use my regular rub on brisket sometimes. I still experiment, when I taste or read about a new method or flavor I usually get around to trying it. My theory is "You don't know till you try it". My wife for example, never liked Boudin, didn't want to try it had her mind made up. About two years ago when I had a bunch of different things on the smoker I cooked Boudin too, she ate a piece and asked what kind of sausage that was? I said you know the Boudin you didn't want to try Well!!!!  She loves it, asked me if I was going to do some Boudin tomorrow, I'll have to make another run to the store.

Gary

Marinated the brisket all day. Pulled it out and rubbed it down.
Heres a couple pics from last night

chuck roasts

Brisket marinaded for 8 hours

meat has been rubbed down and sat all night in the fridge. now resting getting the smoker prepared

the time has come.......

more pics to follow as the day goes on.

So here's a question.

Brisket got to about 165. Stayed there then dropped....
got distracted with the boy and fire died down. Shame on me.

Its up again. Should I be worried?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky