My first brisket tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shurley88

Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
Hey guys looking for a little input. I'm smoking my very first brisket ever on my offset smoker. From the research I've done I'm estimating my 14 lb whole packer to take around 17.5 hours at 250 degrees cooking temp. Does that sound right cooking wise not math wise. I'm not planning on wrapping it until it is done and I'm ready to let it rest. I'm shooting to have it done a few hours before we plan to eat so it can rest for 2-3 hours. Also should I save my drippings to pour back over the meat when it is time to rest it? One last question. Just incase it is done a little earlier then I planned how long will it stay warm in a cooler? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

Timeline is subjective but I'd say you're in the ballpark on time. I've kept briskets wrapped in towels and resting in a cooler for more than 4 hours with great results. That's key to brisket, keeping it wrapped until ready to slice and only slice what you want to serve. It doesn't keep well and seems to dry out fast once it's sliced. I personally haven't had much luck with drippings from briskets. Maybe others can give advise there. Good luck and post some pics of your brisket when your done!

Reactions: Shurley88
Using an offset I would keep some butcher paper handy just in case. Watch for a stall. Briskets
unwrapped can take longer to get through a stall. Cranking up the heat can get you through it but you can dry out the brisket.

Good luck and don't forget to post your results

Boykjo

Reactions: Shurley88
20200704_175910.jpg
20200704_180601.jpg
20200704_180612.jpg

Took me 12 hours total. Had hell with keeping the fire going and the stall. But did not wrap it at all. Pretty proud of myself on that being my first brisket.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky