My First Brisket Cook!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ExclusiveBBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hi all,

As you might have seen from other topics I've posted, I had planned to do my first packer cut brisket this weekend. I've posted most of this over on my Instagram so I'll keep it short and only include the good bits!

I woke at 5am to prep the brisket and warm the smoker. By 6am, it was on my new Traeger which was running at 275°F and burning pecan pellets.

About 7 hours later, it had an internal temp of 165°F and looked dark so I pulled it to wrap in butcher paper.

It took a long time to cook and by 6pm I was pre-heating the oven as I was concerned about how many pellets were being used. This ended up helping a lot as it quickly reached and internal temp of 190°F (by around 8pm) and was fairly soft when I gave it a poke.

After an hour of resting, I cut the flat and it was overcooked; not by much, but I had anticipated it due to the lack of fat running through it. The point was 'on point' though and turned out better than I thought! It was moist and juicy and the slices were pull-apart soft.

Despite the decent result, I'll definitely change some things for next time:

1. More rub - the Traeger beef rub was nice but brisket can take more seasoning than I thought!

2. Water pan - I stupidly forgot to use one...

3. More smoke - the smokey flavour wasn't as strong as I wanted so I'll probably be ordering some hickory pellets for next time.

I was using Aaron Franklin's BBQ book to help me trim the brisket, along with video references, and it does seem that UK brisket differs a lot to the stuff that's found in USA. I'm going to have quite the challenge if I want to continue to cook UK briskets, but I'll keep trying!

Looks great for a first try, really good.
Way to work with what ya have.
Like!

Next time you need to wrap something large like a Brisket or Shoulder.
Try using two sheets in an overlapping V shape.
It makes it much easier than one or two separate sheets and the double wrap holds juices better.

It would be a long swim, but I believe it would be worthwhile. I would be glad to sample a bit of that brisket.
Hopefully, nothing we cook comes out absolutely perfect the first time. After eating the evidence, we get to try and try again.

Reactions: JC in GB
Great job on your first one. The first one is always the hardest. I would be surprised if the flat was overcooked. It's very rare that happens. I'm betting it actually needed more time even though that may seem counterintuitive.

A lot of folks around here do the probe tender check at 195. And only pull when it's like butter. Usually my flat is under temp from the point but if both parts are probe tender it's ready. Once I started doing this brisket turned out amazing.

Good luck on your next one.

Last edited:
Looks great for a first try, really good.
Way to work with what ya have.
Like!

Next time you need to wrap something large like a Brisket or Shoulder.
Try using two sheets in an overlapping V shape.
It makes it much easier than one or two separate sheets and the double wrap holds juices better.

That sounds like a good idea - would I then place the brisket at the point of the 'V' shape?

It would be a long swim, but I believe it would be worthwhile. I would be glad to sample a bit of that brisket.
Hopefully, nothing we cook comes out absolutely perfect the first time. After eating the evidence, we get to try and try again.

Thank you, but not yet at the level I want. When I get it to a good point, I'll throw it as far as I can. :)

Great job on your first one. The first one is always the hardest. I would be surprised if the flat was overcooked. It's very rare that happens. I'm betting it actually needed more time even though that may seem counterintuitive.

A lot of folks around here do the probe tender check at 195. And only pull when it's like butter. Usually my flat is under temp from the point but if both parts are probe tender it's ready. Once I started doing this brisket turned out amazing.

Good luck on your next one.

Towards the end, I had a probe in the flat and pulled at 190°F so you might be right. The point was feeling tender or at least 'soft enough' and I was convinced that the flat would be overcooked so it sounds like I might have pulled it early!

Thanks so much for the advice.

Reactions: JC in GB and webs05
I agree with the other posters. That flat doesn't look over cooked at all. Looks like you had a fair amount of resistance when your probed it. Maybe try 195 - 200 degrees F next cook? Looks very tasty for sure.

Hope you can find a good deal on pellets for your cooker.

Looks like you had a fair amount of resistance when your probed it.

Yes, looks like it was not probe tender. In the video, you can see the meat moving as the probe is inserted. The probe should slide in with practically zero resistance. Another easy way for a beginner to tell - if it doesn't pass the pull test, it is under cooked. One thing that will help with an under cooked flat is to slice is thin.

More smoke - the smokey flavour wasn't as strong as I wanted so I'll probably be ordering some hickory pellets for next time.

What type of pellets were you using? Can you get 100% hickory over there?

I agree with the other posters. That flat doesn't look over cooked at all. Looks like you had a fair amount of resistance when your probed it. Maybe try 195 - 200 degrees F next cook? Looks very tasty for sure.

Hope you can find a good deal on pellets for your cooker.

I reckon you might be right. It wasn't so much crumbly as it was 'tight' - if that makes sense!

Yes, looks like it was not probe tender. In the video, you can see the meat moving as the probe is inserted. The probe should slide in with practically zero resistance. Another easy way for a beginner to tell - if it doesn't pass the pull test, it is under cooked. One thing that will help with an under cooked flat is to slice is thin.

Really need to remember that for next time, I think I'm quite worried about overcooking such an expensive piece of meat.

What type of pellets were you using? Can you get 100% hickory over there?

I was using Pecan but just bought some Hickory, Maple and Cherry pellets!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky