My first attempt at making hot sauce...more pictures now!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you are "Fermenting" the peppers, the refrigerator will significantly slow the fermentation process.

I'm past that.  I'm almost 3 weeks in.  As I said, the peppers are pureed and jared and I'm waiting for the vinegar to seperate to skim it off but I want to make sure I don't need to strain it first before it will seperate...

Update!!

Pureed it tonite.

Put the lid on it and into the fridge.

Another few weeks of scooping off the vinegar as it rises.

I gotta tell ya  ..It is flaming hot!! About took my breath away!!

Wheeeeee!!!

Have a great day!! 

Craig

e2f7c1d6_hotsauce001.jpg
I can't believe this is the first I've seen of this post. Been so super busy the last month. Is this what you were telling me about drove the wife out of the house? It looks awesome. I bet that that's some hot stuff. My eyes are burning looking at it.
th_crybaby2.gif

Very Nice... I was talking to a buddy about taking all of the fatali peppers I have coming off my plants soon and making a vinegar hot sauce. You have inspired me... Can't wait to hear the screams when you try it... Happy Times, Smokin - K

Well I am a month late but here's the skinny..

After it sat pureed for a week I strained it again and put some potatoes in it as it was a tad salty.

It is awesome now. Got a bag of fresh Apalachicola oysters to celebrate this weekend and it made them absolutely marvelous.

Now for the bad news.....when hell broke loose here I forgot about the 2 two gallon jugs under the sink and they rotted.

Oh well....I think that I will make quart sized batches now anyway.

Have a great day!!!

Craig

what can you use in place of cheesecloth on top?  would a coffee filter work?  I have a bunch of anahiem's on the plants at home and don't know what to do with them..  a green hot sauce sounds great!

Last edited:
what can you use in place of cheesecloth on top?  I have a bunch of anahiem's on the plants at home and don't know what to do with them..  a green hot sauce sounds great!
It's just a vent..Use a chunk of old t-shirt or something similar...

Craig

I'm trying this now but I have a question. Why use white vinegar? Is there something about it that it needs to be white vinegar? Why not use a more flavorful vinegar?

Just looking at the pictures is making my eyes water!

Have you tried tossing some wings in the sauce yet?
I have added it to the sauce I use for wings that I normally use a bottled pepper sauce with... It is way good..

And I don't need much...

I'm trying this now but I have a question. Why use white vinegar? Is there something about it that it needs to be white vinegar? Why not use a more flavorful vinegar?
The recipe called for white vinegar.

Next batch I may use apple or some other vinegar..

I didn't post the recipe..here it is.... http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce/rich_hab.html  

Have a great day!!

Craig

Great post Craig! I can't believe I never saw it before this.
I got a boat load of Thai bird peppers that I got to pick soon and I'm going to give it a shot.

Im so glad I saw this. I have never made hotsauce before but Im definately going to make some now. Thanks for posting this
drool.gif

It is best to eliminate as much oxygen as you can because it can lead to the growth of some funky stuff.
No need for a special airlock.....I ferment in half gallon canning jars, filling the jar with peppers (or whatever else I'm fermenting) and topping off with brine...all the way up to the rim, so the jar is completely full...top with a canning lid without the ring, and top that with a weight.

~Martin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky