My first attemp at a SFB build is complete after many "redesigns" and lots of "oops"es

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brewbq

Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Liberty Twp,NJ
694c3154_smokehenge.jpg

Last edited:
The smoke chamber is 55 gallon SS drum the SFB is a modified 30 gallon Air compressor tank with a loading door and a damper door.The chimney btween SFB and 55 is 5X10 X 4 inches deep,I have a 4"X12" steel stack but havent put it on the 55 yet as it is extremely heavy and I dont want it to distort the barrel's thin wall.....There is a 2 1/2" or so outlet on the side of the barrel that seems to be working ok so far I have done 5 cooks on this so far,Chix,Pizza,Short Ribs.

72ceb930_Picture439.jpg
here is more pics of loading door and damper door all hand made and ugly as hell!!!!,Question for you q'ers....the SFB is 16" around,I have 3 grates to hold up the lump(staggered for smaller openings.Today I smoked a whole chicken but seemed to rip through a LOT of lump.....Could I build a basket to contain the lump in a smaller(more vertical situation)? should this help me save some lump?
c5957210_Picture447.jpg
df34c9d5_Picture006.jpg
e701e0ce_Picture443.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky