My ECB Blinged Out Mods/First Post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tread

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Ohio
I saw somebody ask if the group was dead so I thought I'd join and share my mods. Just got into smoking and have only had my ECB a few weeks. Read all the threads I could find. Made some vents - drilled some holes - added rope gasket - bought a thermometer - legs outside - new handles - new fire pan  

first smoke, old handles and fire pan

vent thanks to @day_trippr

New Bling and Gauge

new Fire Pan

Handles

it seems to work 
biggrin.gif

Pork Butt Pulled with 3Floyds Razorhoof Saison brewed for the Band High on Fire. 3 of my favorite things working together. 

Good job! I think. I am going to have to get those mods going on mine too. So far just the leg mod since I got it last week.

PS - Tough lie, Tread!

Hey Tread, Good looking mods! How about some pics of the handles and the fancy legs on the ash pan. The group has been a little quiet for awhile, so thanks for posting. 

We joke and call them an ECB.

But many old guys and gals here started with them.

You should get some good smokes off that unit!

Good luck and good smoking.

Smoked some Ribs and Spiral Smoked dogs. Which peeps loved.  Used a rub, Misted a few times with Apple cider/apple cider vinegar. Also foiled after 1.5 and left on for 1.5 then back on for 30.. tender but what do you think about my bark? Too much?

Shot of my setup. Cardboard wind break. 

Dogs from Al's Meat Market

Dialed in

Turend out pretty good. 

Time to clean up. Hate that part

Where is everybody? Like some feedback pos/neg anything. 
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

The food looks great and so does the view.  I'm considering buying an ECB and just curious if you think its worth it to buy and then mod it?  I'm just starting to get into smoking and dont want to fork out the $$$$ for WSM yet.

I saw somebody ask if the group was dead so I thought I'd join and share my mods. Just got into smoking and have only had my ECB a few weeks. Read all the threads I could find. Made some vents - drilled some holes - added rope gasket - bought a thermometer - legs outside - new handles - new fire pan

first smoke, old handles and fire pan

vent thanks to @day_trippr

New Bling and Gauge

new Fire Pan

Handles

Looks GREAT!  Where did you get the fire pan from.

It's worth the money. I got mine for $40 from home depot. I had fun doing the mods too. The fire pan is the bottom of a brinkmann table top grill. It was $10.Used most of it except the lid.

Hey Tread, I know this is an older post, but wonder how you are making out with your ECB? You cranked out some great Q last fall, so I wanted to see what you've got cooking this summer?

I did build it, made all the mods, and used it three or four times.  It worked pretty good but the temp fluctuated quite a bit, I think I drilled too many holes in the fire pan.  I have since built a Mini WSM and love it. So, the ECB has been sitting in the corner getting no love.  I may have to break it out this weekend and fire it up.

yeah those mini wsm's are pretty slick. I'm going to make one too I think. How can you go wrong?

With regards to the ECB, try running a modified minion with the pan and that will also help the temps. What are you doing in your water pan?

did you do a post on your mini wsm build? did you paint yours? 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky