My box of smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokewatcher

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Florence, Az
This is my setup. It is the Smokey Mountain Series Great Outdoors Model 3600. I bought it about 2-3 years ago at WM for $100. I don't think they make it any longer because of a fundamental defect in the firebox design. Seems the coals just went into the firebox and the ash build-up would smother them out pretty quickly. There were 3 dampers, 2 on the sides for intake and one on top for exhaust. I modified it by using a grill wok pan (I guess that's what it's called) to hold the coals above the ash pan, that really made all the difference....just a quick shake to knock the ash down away from the coals. I also removed the top damper, cut it fully open, and added about 3' of chimney to help with drafting. There are 2 dampers near the firebox, but I find using only one of them gives me better control of the heat. I also gave up on watering it so I'm using sand in the water bowl, covered with foil. i've got quite a few wonderful suppers out of it so far.

** Only 3 attachments allowed??? **
e40a2858_vbattach10942.jpg

0a40e1cb_vbattach10943.jpg

b7bb417e_vbattach10944.jpg

Thanx. I was thinking about replacing the sand bowl with a heavy steel plate, to give me more room beneath it for a higher coal box. Anyone know if that would work out?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky