MY BIGGEST BURGER YET!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
So Ryder and I set out on a mission yesterday....lol. We wanted a burger...not just any burger a great burger. We enjoy the "Swiss miss" at Frisch's Big Boy so we decided to recreate it at home. But this one had to be bigger and better. A double no doubt. So off to work we went... Hang with me....this is a big one for sure..

This one was going to need a good foundation. We started with a pumpernickel loaf we picked up at our local kroger......yep that should do it!
1122201350.jpg

Next we needed to make the pattys. 2 pattys 1.25lb each. Total of 2.5lb of ground Chuck.
We used a 8" cake pan with parchment paper in the bottom to form the pattys
1122201350a.jpg
1122201358.jpg

I was trying to figure out how in the world I was going to cook these bad boys...i decided I would partially freeze the patty then cook in the sous vide. That would hold them together enough to get them in the cast iron and be able to flip them and form a nice crust on the burger. We like our burgers medium so we set the SV to 137 and they went for 2.5 hours.
1122201613.jpg

Next we prepped the bun. Sliced into 3 sections so we would have a middle bun. Toasted under the broiler then a good amount of Frisch's tarter sauce applied to the bottom two.
1122201853.jpg
1122201926.jpg

Next up we cooked the burgers. Once they came out of the SV we patted them dry and into the cast iron to put a crust on them. When they flipped we added 8 slices of baby Swiss to each patty.
1122201931_HDR.jpg
1122201934a.jpg

First patty down!
1122201935.jpg

Second patty on and topped with the top half of the bun!
1122201944b.jpg

Hahahaha! We just looked at each other and laughed for a while! This is the most ridiculous thing ever! Lol!

To give you a better idea of the size of this thing here is Ryder holding it proudly!
1122201947a~2.jpg
1122201947b~2.jpg

And of course we can't forget to take a cut shot!
You can see it came out a perfect medium! Just hw we like them!
1122201959a.jpg

Now I know what your thinking... No way thats gping to fit in your mouth! And your right! Lol! We cut wedges out of it to serve and used knifes and forks to eat this one! We also had some seasoned fries to go with it.

Here is Ryder ready to chow down on his "wedge" of burger!
1122202004.jpg

Man what a fun time making this with Ryder was! We had a blast! The burger tasted great! I honestly wouldnt have cared if it didnt turn out that great....it was just really fun to do!

Thanks for taking a look!

Download Gif Eating Fast | PNG & GIF BASE

Travis nonchalantly sitting down to supper. Man you knocked it out of the park on that one. Perfectly cooked! How much did you end up eating?
Man it came out great! The SV really helped with getting those monsters done perfectly. I ate about 1/4 of it myself. Lol. Less than 1lb of beef but man that was a lot of bread! By the time everyone ate off of it there was about 1/8 left over. It could have easily fed 6-8 adults.

Nice Travis, cooked up just right, Like! No onions? RAY
thanks RAY! Nope no onions on this one. We wanted it to be like the swiss miss. I think the brawny lad has a big slice of onion on it. I like that one too but the boys dont like onions.

That's just plain awesome Travis! Bet you and Ryder had a blast. I remember doing the same thing with my son... memories for sure. Ours just wasn't that big! Lol

Ryan

That's a huge burger also looks delicous! Judging from the smile on Ryders face I think he really enjoyed it. Tell him great job

That's just plain awesome Travis! Bet you and Ryder had a blast. I remember doing the same thing with my son... memories for sure. Ours just wasn't that big! Lol

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Man this was so fun! Ryder had the giggles the whole time because it was just plain ridiculous. I love spending time like this with him!

That's a huge burger also looks delicous! Judging from the smile on Ryders face I think he really enjoyed it. Tell him great job
Thanks Jim! We both really liked it! I'll tell Ryder you said good job!

Wow Travis! that's one amazing Burger. You guys outdid yourselves. Nice work Ryder! Looks delicious. Can't imagine what's next.
When my Son was young like that he didn't have much interest when I tried to include him in cooking. Now he's married and just had a baby girl and got his first smoker. All of a sudden he "needs" me over there for all of his cooks on it, (I'm delighted to help of course), so we're bonding over this now, better late than never, lol. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

Reactions: bill1 and jaxgatorz
Wow Travis! that's one amazing Burger. You guys outdid yourselves. Nice work Ryder! Looks delicious. Can't imagine what's next.
When my Son was young like that he didn't have much interest when I tried to include him in cooking. Now he's married and just had a baby girl and got his first smoker. All of a sudden he "needs" me over there for all of his cooks on it, (I'm delighted to help of course), so we're bonding over this now, better late than never, lol. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.
Thanks! And I'll tell Ryder you said good job! And your right better late than never! Nothing better than bonding around the smoker!!

Reactions: MJB05615
Hell Yeah!
Check it out, that thing is BIG enough to b a landmine disguised as. Cheeseburger!
Wow, good job Ryder on helping Dad with an awesome cook.
Looks great guys!
Thanks chile! I'll let Ryder know! Sure was fun to make this monster!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky