My best ribs on my Masterbuilt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simoon

Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
So, yesterday I did some ribs on my Masterbuilt, and they are by far, my best yet!

First off, I did not wrap them (did not use 3-2-1 method) .
Second, and maybe even more important, I did not use the built in smoke tray in the Masterbuilt. I used a 6" smoke tube with pellets. I do not think I will ever use the built in tray again.

Preparation and smoke:

Rub: brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, dark roast coffee. Pretty straightforward.
Rubbed them, then let sit in refrigerator for a couple of hours, then took them out about 45 minutes before smoke to get to room temp.

Mop: apple cider vinegar, Trader Joe's Carolina Gold bbq sauce (mustard based), garlic and onion powder.

Smoke: BBQr's Delight maple pellets, 235 degrees, smoke applied for about the first 3.5 hours, smoked to 180 degrees internal temp (about 5.5 hours), flipping and mopping about every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours, no flipping for the remainder (still mopping) meat side up, no wrapping, and about 30 minutes covered rest.

These came out so close to some of the best I've had at some of the most famous places in the US. Seriously good. Right amount of smoke, close to the perfect bite (not fall off the bone), the right amount of sweetness and savoriuness, and even the smallest ribs were juicy.

And I have thank many of you here on this forum for their help and knowledge!

bbq.png

Last edited:
Beautiful! The smoke tray in the MES is basically worthless. Todd, changed all that with the Pellet Maze and Tube...JJ

Reactions: campfire218
180 little low for pork ribs isn't it?

Actually, I'll wrap ribs anywhere from 165 -175 degrees.
Though I do lean toward the higher side before wrapping.
If the ribs are reading 180 then I'll just go with it and smoke nekkid. :emoji_scream::emoji_scream:
It really depends on who I am smoking for...the FOTB crowd.
Or just my wife and I, who both of us, prefer our bones to have some bite.

Honestly it's a long story, but I'm glad to be back. Still been smoking every chance I get. I've missed this online bbq community!

Hey, no problem.
Everyone has their priorities in life that take front and center.
I don't get on here as much as I'd like to.
I've kind of tapered off on smoking, not because of lack of interest.
My nephrologist has put me on a very strict low protein diet.
But I still like to come here and see what everyone is smoking and live vicariously through the forums.
Yes, it is a great community to belong to.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
180 little low for pork ribs isn't it?

I'e read to take them off between 185 and 200. The probe thermometer actually read 182.

But then I covered them, and let them rest. I believe the temp continued to rise while resting.

Reactions: negolien
I'e read to take them off between 185 and 200. The probe thermometer actually read 182.

But then I covered them, and let them rest. I believe the temp continued to rise while resting.

Thanks cooked mine to 200 last cook rather than 193 like I usually do and they were too done for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky