My best pork butt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danigirl021

Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Decided to try something a bit different that what I normally do. Soaked an almost 9 pound pork butt in apple juice and apple cider vinegar over night. Rubbed it with my x-mas exchange gift (thanks phatbac!!!) apple and peach rub together. Smoked it up on my WSM. Went about 9 hours at 250, wrapped her up at about 175 and finished her around 350. Let her rest for an hour and pulled it apart. Usually would let it sit a bit longer, but the house was hungry. Great pull, texture, moisture, and flavor.
4EA2AAF5-8E53-4309-B7DB-A88FC47DF36F.jpeg

Attachments

• 14F3DEA5-87A9-40E5-8292-2568F5AC5081.jpeg
    14F3DEA5-87A9-40E5-8292-2568F5AC5081.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BCF0891C-23A8-4FD1-B8B0-DCA979278B60.jpeg
    BCF0891C-23A8-4FD1-B8B0-DCA979278B60.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 45
It looks good congrats on a fine job I'm sure the house enjoyed it

Reactions: danigirl021
Amazing looking butt..sorry if that sounds funny.:emoji_joy:

I've injected them with apple juice "butt" never thought of soaking one overnight in A.J. I might have to give that a try next time I smoke one up.

Thanks for the great idea and great looking bark.
Dan

Decided to try something a bit different that what I normally do. Soaked an almost 9 pound pork butt in apple juice and apple cider vinegar over night. Rubbed it with my x-mas exchange gift (thanks phatbac!!!) apple and peach rub together. Smoked it up on my WSM. Went about 9 hours at 250, wrapped her up at about 175 and finished her around 350. Let her rest for an hour and pulled it apart. Usually would let it sit a bit longer, but the house was hungry. Great pull, texture, moisture, and flavor. View attachment 488132
Looks great. What was your ratio of apple juice to apple cider vinegar?

One question I wanted to ask, but forgot. Did you get any mushy meat? I would have thought the ACV would have broken down a layer or so of meat marinating overnight.

Chris

Amazing looking butt..sorry if that sounds funny.:emoji_joy:

I've injected them with apple juice "butt" never thought of soaking one overnight in A.J. I might have to give that a try next time I smoke one up.

Thanks for the great idea and great looking bark.
Dan
If you soak it overnight let me know what you think.

Reactions: forktender
Looks great. What was your ratio of apple juice to apple cider vinegar?
Great question and I should have clarified that. I used about 3/4ths the bottle of apple juice and half cup of apple cider vinegar. I believe the bottle of apple juice was 36 oz. I will double check and let you know.

Reactions: chp and forktender
One question I wanted to ask, but forgot. Did you get any mushy meat? I would have thought the ACV would have broken down a layer or so of meat marinating overnight.

Chris
Great question. When pulling it, I noticed some mushy spots on the bottom but that is also where the fat cap was. I smoked it fat cap down because my heat source comes from underneath. Possibly could have been been from the ACV but didn't pay close enough attention to that to tell. I didn't realize ACV would break down the meat like that to make it mushy so thanks for the tip. I will have to read up more on that.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky