My best brisket yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanhoelzer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Converse, TX
I got a brisket from a local meat market Friday.  It was a fair amount more expensive than the cryopacked ones I've done before but I think it might just be worth the money.  I'd have to do the math but I didn't have to trim it at all.  It had a nice thin fat cap on the bottom and that was it.  With the grocery store briskets I end up trimming at least a couple lbs of fat from them.

It was 13.31 lbs at $2.86/lb. so $38.20.  I don't know if he had ever cut a whole packer like that.  He said he separates them sometimes and sells the flats for $3.99/lb but he had to figure out a price for the whole thing.  Part of being in NC I guess..

I started it out about 9PM sitting on shallow foil with charcoal/lump and mesquite chunks for a little over 4 hrs at around 220.  Put it in the MES after that directly on the grate for another 10 hrs till it hit 195.  Great smoke ring and nice and juicy.  I've injected and marinaded and not been this juicy.  After 14 hrs it was still dripping off the bottom and moist on the top.

He told me the brisket had been natural grain (corn) fed for 250-300 days and aged 48 days.  It's Western Choice and he said it was probably close to being Prime.

3a4e904c_brisket1.jpg

d75bf37f_rubbed.jpg

8e41bcf2_flat.jpg

c3a4a54e_point.jpg

Damn , That smoke ring looks like it was put on with lipstick!  That brisket has some of the best marbling i have seen . i buy choice all the time and they are not near that pretty. definantly worth what you paid for it.
points.gif

AWESOME !
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I agree with eman & the lipstick !

I saw one on here like that before that looked like it was painted on.

Yours is even better---Looks so good, it doesn't look real.

That's gotta be tasting unbelievable!

Thanks for the view,

Bear

Yep, It was Shop N Save.  I took him some back and I think he was surprised at how good it was.  People in NC just don't know what you can do with a brisket. 

I had him slice me some jerky meat too.  He used some misc roast pieces that would go into hamburger and only charged me like $2.97/lb instead of the full roast price.

And it was probably the best jerky slicing anyone's done for me.  Alot of times they're inconsistent on the thickness, His was perfect.
Ryan,

The brisket looks great. Did you get it at the Shop-N-Save? I finally cooked some of his extra meaty ribs and they were excellent!

Wow. I can't believe the price you paid for that beautiful piece of meat. My local butcher in Winston-Salem gets 3.99/lb and I thought that was great compared to Harris Teeter at 4.99/lb. It might be worth the drive to Mooresville to pick up a couple.

That might just be the best looking brisket I have ever seen - Congrats and a thumbs up for ya - That was a fairly large cut so maybe you could freeze a slice or two and overnite it to me?? Just sayin
icon_mrgreen.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Holy smoke ring Batman !!! That looks delicious. Damn you, now I have to do a brisket
icon_mrgreen.gif

If we still gave points you would get eleventy bajillion from me.

Wow great looking Brisket, price is almost dead on what I get from the BX, If I showed that to my daughter, she would have me making brisket this weekend.  But I got one more butt to do, and try the mustard cover, before I do another brisket.  Ah, dang nab it, I am stopping today after my rotation to pick up one.  Ryan your an evil man for posting them pictures, LOL, but you made my daughter's food dream come true, so you can't be all bad.

hi im new here and just bought  a landman 2 drawer smoker  i stop on the way home and picked up a brisket at walmart  i sure hope  mine  turns out looking something like that  do you have any suggestion for a good dry rub  im sure there are recipes in here some  were your look  very good to me 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky