my 2nd pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Renton, WA
Is it still a pastrami if you mess with the seasonings?

Had a nice little (3.7#) corned beef to cook up for lunch meat. It had very little fat so I just scored it and smeared on a wet rub this time. Couple Tbsp each horseradish sauce (leftover from xmas rib roast) and guldens mustard, mixed with about 1 tsp. old bay (I love that stuff!), 1/2 tsp. onion powder, dash of paprika and chacheres creole, about 20 fennel seeds, and the packet that came with it.

Rubbed and rested at room temp about 1/2 hour.

5f4a2f1a_010511_1211.jpg

as usual got my garlic heads in, and did a couple onions a la Wntrlnd, too.

6a29354e_010511_1212.jpg

started it at 225, with 2.5 oz pecan chips. planning to foil this time @ 170 and take it up to 190-200.

5e689f0c_010511_1219.jpg

man, it's pretty!

a91f08e6_010511_1220.jpg

I just had to see the color 
yahoo.gif
happy dance time.

I've never tried pastrami not cooking it or eating it,but looking at yours makes me wonder WHY????? That is really beautiful color wow,i don't use that word too much but in this case it really is beautiful...great job!!!

Had a nice little (3.7#) corned beef to cook up for lunch meat. It had very little fat so I just scored it and smeared on a wet rub this time. Couple Tbsp each horseradish sauce (leftover from xmas rib roast) and guldens mustard, mixed with about 1 tsp. old bay (I love that stuff!), 1/2 tsp. onion powder, dash of paprika and chacheres creole, about 20 fennel seeds, and the packet that came with it.

Rubbed and rested at room temp about 1/2 hour.

as usual got my garlic heads in, and did a couple onions a la Wntrlnd, too.

started it at 225, with 2.5 oz pecan chips. planning to foil this time @ 170 and take it up to 190-200.

man, it's pretty!

I just had to see the color 
yahoo.gif
happy dance time.

Technically... I don't know, but if it pleases you as Pastrami then it is Pastrami and yours looks dang good...

That looks awesome - great job I bet it tastes even better

That looks Awesome Barbe!

You can call it anything you like when it looks THAT good!

Only one thing I don't like. It doesn't get any bigger when I click on it.

I was hoping to Zoom in on that sliced picture !!!!!!!!

Bear

Hell yeah it is.  By definition a pastrami is smoked corned beef.  Your seasoning may not be "traditional" but it sure got my attention.  Sounds like it's got a bit of a kick to it.  Hope it tastes as good as it looks!

I've never tried pastrami not cooking it or eating it,but looking at yours makes me wonder WHY????? That is really beautiful color wow,i don't use that word too much but in this case it really is beautiful...great job!!!

You're from PA and never had pastrami?  I always thought that as a Northeastern staple.  Now get out there to a good deli and order yourself a reuben.  Next thing you know you'll be making your own like the queen did.

icon_cool.gif

Well Barbe you got your answer from our favorite and site expert on Pastrami. What "The Dude" says goes around here when it come to pastrami. But it sure does look awful good to me. The only thing you could call it .......Is GONE if I was anywhere near it. 

I coulda swore I smelt some good smokin' comin' up from the south.  Looks mighty fine to me.  AND the phrase you're looking for when seasoning something is: My PREFERENCE for seasoning is: .......    I've yet to see any two smokers around here do something the same exact way, and that's what I really like about this place, the only lock step routine is food safety and smoker safety.  Everything else is fair game.
points.gif

I seldom do something the same way twice. Just can't leave well enough alone? I like experimenting too much.  But, I'd do this again! I gotta say, this tastes as good as it looked! Had a little nibble today before putting it in the oven to steam.  A nice porter or Boundary Bay IPA will be just the ticket to go with this!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky