my 1st Q'd meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 22, 2007
Sault Ste Marie,ON
this is my first attempt at a meatloaf on my smoker...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

the missus says that all meatloafs are banned in our house unless they come from my smoker....

she already has plans for the leftovers in a nice sammie Bubba..lol

Looks good teacup. We love smoked meatloaf. I do mine in a loaf pan so it fits neatly on bread but most people like them rounded. I am completelt out of meatloaf - gotta make a few more.

just logged on now.. the race is on, theres some meatloaf & fattie for leftovers...

when the race is over we are moving a 57" big screen tv...still coming over??..lol
biggrin.gif

I was wondering does all of your meatloafs turn out very tender? I like my meatloafs a bit firmer any suggestions? When I made my meatloaf I used a full cup of bread crumbs..

MysticalMan

It would help if I knew your recipe, however I will say that if you are looking for a firmer meatloaf, you need to minimize the liquid ingredients not the eggs though. Also would cut back a bit on the bread crumbs. One of the reasons that smoked meatloaf is more tender is due to the lower cooking temps, so I think if you turn the heat up to 250º to 275º and still take it out when internal is 160º it should be more to your likeing ...

Let me know how you make out?

Just to let you know I used meowey's recipe. I think next time I will use 2 egg's cut the bread crumbs to 1/2 cup and cut the water in half.

When i smoked meatloaf last time I cooked them at 300 and took them off when they hit 160 - 165 there was a bit of varied temps since i did up 5 of them at once.

Being a newbie, how long does it take to smoke? I am not a big meatloaf fan, but that looks great. I would like to try it this weekend.

i dont use water either...

my recipe is simple... i never measure the amounts because the ground beef will tell you if it needs more moisture or needs more crumbs

3 lbs ground beef
seasoned breadcrumbs
1 medium onion
5 cloves garlic
italian seasoning
black pepper
1 egg

i mix everything together until it is just mixed up... the secret to not making tough meat loaf or meatballs is not to overmix it....if it needs more moisture you can add whatever you want, if its too wet at a little bit more breadcrumbs

i never keep track of the time exactly, the thermometer tells me when it is done not how long its been in the smoker or oven

1 egg seems a bit shy for 3 lbs to me, as most recipes call for at least one for 1 lb of meat. The remaining recipe looks great to me ... can never have too much garlic
icon_lol.gif

well i had posted a longer message but my internet took a crap when i hit submit

so here is basically what i said...

to get a moist, rich tender meatball or meatloaf, this is a basic idea of what we use in ours

3 parts ground beef
1 1/2 parts lean ground pork
1 1/2 parts lean ground veal
onions
eggs
garlic
fresh black pepper
italian seasoning
cajun spice
seasoned bread crumbs

mix, but dont overmix

for a different spin on it, my mom use to put green/red peppers,mushroom or small cubes of sharp cheddar cheese in it...top with favorite sauce

hopefully this will work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky