My 1st Attempt @ Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bworthy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2014
Folsom, CA
Finally have the opportunity to post about my first attempt with making bacon. I started the process at the beginning of October with 10.9 pounds of pork belly from Costco. I used the diggingdogfarm calculator to come up with the amount of cure #1, salt and brown sugar to use for the cure. Cut the belly in half, applied the cure and into the fridge. Cured for 10 days that worked out well for the weather to cool a bit before smoking.

I filled up my AMPTS with apple pellets and into the Smoke Hollow. Outside temp was mid 70’s, hoping to keep smoker temp below 100. After about 2 hours smoker was at 95*. After another 2 1/2 hours I pulled the belly’s (smoker @ 97*) lightly wrapped in butcher paper and put into the fridge. Next morning back into the smoker for about 2 hours. Back to the fridge for another day then sliced. The smoke smell from the fridge was almost overpowering.

Sampled a couple slices with some hamburgers I grilled, then vacuum sealed and into freezer until yesterday when I finally cooked up about a pound. Overall I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. Definitely different (better) than store bought. Already have some things in mind to improve the next batch. I will probably spread out the smoke a little to maybe 3 hours at a time for 2 days. I also will need to place the smoke tube lower in my smoker as it was too close to the belly and charred one a little. Also I need to invest in a slicer, my knife skills are just a little subpar!

36AACDA2-6C28-4C2C-B6E3-12224B76D1D4.jpeg 784AAD56-5F56-4336-B12F-813405269E97.jpeg

CBA7695B-07BE-495D-9088-75DD7FB3CFF0.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Looks great and your knife skills appear to be better than mine! Keep an eye out for deals on the Chefs Choice 615 slicer. I got mine on Woot for around $89 and Amazon often has a special on them too. Great home use slicer. I use it to do our bacons and lunchmeats from the smoker.

looks good from here, nice job, as Richie said once it's fried up no one will care how it was sliced, they'll just be looking for more.

Reactions: bworthy
Looks great and your knife skills appear to be better than mine! Keep an eye out for deals on the Chefs Choice 615 slicer. I got mine on Woot for around $89 and Amazon often has a special on them too. Great home use slicer. I use it to do our bacons and lunchmeats from the smoker.
Already have been eyeing this one.

That bacon looks really really good to me. I'm about to embark on first attempt today. I hope it comes out as good as yours did.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: bworthy
Hi bworthy,
Your Bacon looks Great!!
Like.
Note: I wouldn't worry about the temp so much. I have found Zero difference between Bacon smoked in a 90° Smoker and Bacon smoked in a 120° Smoker.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky