Mrs Bear’s Little Buddy. (Red Fox)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Mrs Bear’s Little Buddy. (Red Fox)

I showed you guys the whole Fox family a couple months ago, not long after we started seeing the two Adult Foxes & their two Pups.
Since then it seems they all moved to new areas, and only one is still here.
He/She seems to be the one who drew My property for his living Territory.
We see him nearly every day, and is usually running around in our Back, East Side, and Front yards.
Now & then he still comes up on the back Deck, and drinks out of the Bowl Mrs Bear has under the Hummingbird Feeder to catch the leaking drips. He comes up the steps to the Deck, gets a Drink, trots around a little, and leaves by jumping through the railing Pickets to the
ground. Mrs Bear named him “Freddie”.

We didn’t want to actually feed him, but Mrs Bear always throws stale Bread & Rolls out for the Birds (under the Bird Feeders).
So a couple weeks ago Mrs Bear was going out the back sliding door, so I said, “Where are you going?”
She said, "I’m going to throw this Bread out for the birds.”
So I went down the hall to our Bedroom to watch her, and instead of throwing the bread under the bird feeders, she went all the way to the other end of the Deck, and threw the bread out in the area where Freddie likes to play. Then I saw her lips moving.
When she came in I said, What were you saying, when I saw your lips moving while you were throwing the Bread out.”
At first she ignored me & walked away, but I kept asking her. Finally she said, “I was saying Here’s some Bread Freddie---Come Get It!”
So every time she threw some stale Bread out, Freddie would soon come and Scarf it up.

Then last week I smoked a NY Strip Roast that had a lot of Fat & Gristle on it, and my Gall Bladder attacked me that night, pretty badly. About 4 hours of Pain, until apparently a stone passed.
So I trimmed off a whole lot of Fat & Gristle from that Roast, and put it on a plate in the Fridge.
Mrs Bear throws a little out in that same area every day. She says Freddie hasn’t been eating the Bread lately.
I told her he’ll start eating bread again, after he runs out of Meat.

I told her I don’t think feeding him will hurt, as long as she doesn’t give him a lot, every day, so it doesn’t completely take the place of him fending for himself. So we’ll see what happens for awhile.

Being stuck here for the Pandemic doesn’t bother me, but Mrs Bear likes to run to her Brother’s & her Sister’s houses, and go out to eat with them, so I figure Feeding & watching Freddie The Fox could make it less boring around home for her, while I’m watching Football Games & Old Westerns on TV.

Enjoy the Pics:

Bear

"Freddie" Drinking from the bowl that catches the Leaks from the Hummingbird Feeder, just outside our Patio Door:
IMG_5861.jpeg

Just strolling around:
IMG_5865.jpeg

Gotta check under the Table Too:
IMG_5866.jpeg

Great pics Bear! Only question I have is do you get more enjoyment from watching Freddie or from watching Mrs Bear and her enjoyment feeding Freddie?

Ryan

Those are some cool pics from the Bear's Den Wildlife Park , thanks for sharing! RAY

Great buddy you got there.
Jim

Thank You Jim!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nothing like the relaxation of watching wildlife.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
We had a Small Doe & one fawn here nearly all day yesterday, and then again last night they made my lights come on out there.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

nice pics bear, ya better feed him a little more it's looking a little thin. watch that gall bladder buddy, i get those attacks once in a while and they suck, seems it always happens in the middle of the night, usually my own fault for eating to much fatty foods during the day.

Nice pics Bear. Freddie does look a little thin, he may like some Pulled Pork? LOL. Hope the Gall Bladder issue is better. My Wife suffered for years until it got bad enough to have it removed. After removal, she had intermittent pain for about 4 months, then gone. That was almost 30 years ago, and no re occurrence since.

that is so cool! we had a family or red tail hawks living a block away most of the summer. they were so great o see and hear. we think they moved on :(.

being able to see wildlife from your home is priceless!

Great pics Bear! Only question I have is do you get more enjoyment from watching Freddie or from watching Mrs Bear and her enjoyment feeding Freddie?

Ryan

Thank You Ryan!!
Good question!! I think it's close, but She's probably most fun when she watches Freddie & when she watches a couple of Fawns running around the yard, like little Spotted Missiles.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Those are some cool pics from the Bear's Den Wildlife Park , thanks for sharing! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
LOL---Sometimes it seems like that.
We're due for some Turkeys to make an Appearance soon.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Bear, I did some looking last night on my phone...have a video of a doe at the end of our driveway, with our 1 1/2 year old Doberman standing at the top of the driveway just barking and barking at it. The doe started walking toward her and finally stopped when she saw me recording from the porch. Curious how close she would have gotten if she hadn't saw me. But I don't know how to add a video.

Ryan

Great pics . I get them running thru here now and then . No harm in feeding if you enjoy the company . Like you said , don't be the easy food source .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky